We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf, good food and busy nightlife

Caribbean
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golf, good food and busy nightlife

We are flying into Charlotte at the end of the month for 5 nights and want great golf, good food and a good nightlife.

Good golf seems to be everywhere and I had suggested the Sandhills area but we are concerned whether there are nice restaurants and much of a nightlife.

We don't want 'adult' clubs but a place where guys in there late 20s/early thirties can have a good night out.

Any suggestions would be great.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

Just to clarify, you're flying into Charlotte, but you're open as to where you spend the 5 nights? Or are you looking for areas around/near Charlotte?

Regardless, in general the larger city, the better the nightlife. But, the best golf is generally not near large cities (although there are plenty of decent to very good courses just about anywhere in NC). You are correct that the Sandhills area is the #1 choice purely for golf reasons, but Southern Pines/Pinehurst are relatively small towns. Still, there are some very good restaurants and bars in the area.

So it just depends--is the nightlife more important than the golf, or vice versa? And for the nightlife, are you looking for swinging hot spots with lots of single women, or just a nice laid-back bar where you can unwind after playing golf all day?

Edited: 13 May 2011, 16:26
Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

I'd say your best bet for a good combination of all 3 would be to stay in Wilmington and drive down to the Ocean Isle/Sunset beach area for golfing during the day.

Wilmington has a jumping downtown nightlife and restaurant scene and the beach is nearby as well. For 20-30somethings it's about the best combination in NC of the 3 elements you're looking for, imo.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/city.aspx?dest=Sunset+Beach+NC

There's also a semi-private course in Wilmington at Porter's Neck Country Club that allows nonmember play with a 3-day advance tee time reservation. I played there many years ago...it was a good, well-maintained course, but pricey.

http://www.portersneckcountryclub.com/

In all honesty I'd say the runners-up would be Charlotte and Asheville. I know neither of those sound like premier golf destinations, but they have enough worthwhile courses around their areas to make it inviting to stay there when you consider they offer a much better combination of nightlife/dining options for 20-30somethings than does Pinehurst imo.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

One more thought...given that it sounds like you won't mind driving to your destination once you get here, I'd say you should give Charleston some consideration as well.

You could play the courses at Wild Dunes and/or Kiawah as well as a few of the decent public courses there. With the sheer breadth of options Charleston's dining is definitely a notch above Wilmington's, and the nightlife is comparable. From Charlotte you'd also be driving roughly the same amount of time to get to either destination.

I'd say you could also consider Myrtle Beach given the huge number of courses and restaurants there, but in all honesty I think the nightlife options for 20-30somethings there are too touristy. That's not to say there is a shortage of nightlife options in Myrtle Beach for 20-30s...I'm just saying I don't think all that highly of them.

Caribbean
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

We will be renting a car, but don't want to spend too much time in it. Would love to play Kiawah & a few places at Myrtle beach but those are probably a bit too far.

Personally, I would be happy with a bar, but two of the others are keen for some "swinging hot spots with lots of single women"(!).

I am thinking a compromise might be to go to Pinehurst for two days (one night) and have 4 nights in Charlotte.

Really appreciate the comments, thanks.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

Pinehurst sounds good. If you want to stay in Charlotte, stay in Ballantyne for good restaurant; could golf at the resort golf course of 1 morning in Golf Links (Providence Rd)

NC
Level Contributor
485 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

The Greater Charlotte area is loaded with quality courses. You are gaining nothing by going to the Pinehurst area for golf unless you want to play a Pinehurst course. There are really nice course all around Charlotte. Verdict Ridge, Rocky River, The Tillery Tradition, Red Bridge, Highland Creek, Warrior...are just a of the courses that I like playing.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

Agree with maddog...unless your group is a bunch of golfhounds who want to play Pinehurst mainly to hang the "played Pinehurst, got the T-shirt" badges on their bags, there are enough quality courses in the Charlotte area to choose from for a 5-day stay.

Otherwise I'd see no real benefit to driving out to Pinehurst, to be honest...nowhere near the plethora of dining and nightlife choices Charlotte offers.

Caribbean
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

Thanks for all the advice, which we are taking, and planning to stay in & around Charlotte.

We have a few great golf courses lined up which predominantly are South of the City Center. If you have an opinion on whether we should stay somewhere central and travel to the courses each day or perhaps stay slightly south we would appreciate any tips. there are 4 of us and in the past we have rented condos/homes for golf trips but I cannot find many options in this area.

Thanks again.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

Most of the good 20-30something nightlife options are in the center city and South End, so I'd recommend staying downtown and just driving out to the courses each day.

That way many of the dining/nightlife options are a walk or short cab ride away-given that the group will probably want to indulge in a cocktail or two, you won't be risking an unpleasant driving incident.

10. Re: Golf, good food and busy nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 09:22