We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lakes in North Carolina

Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Lakes in North Carolina

I hope you can help with information. My husband and I are looking to vacation in NC later this summer. We would like to rent a lakefront home on a lake where we can rent a boat and water ski. We would like it to be within one or two hours of Asheville, prefarably near the mountains. We would also like to be on a lake that has a few restaurants so we can boat to lunch, dinner, or drinks. I looked at Lake James but understand there are no restaurants on it (or one at a far end.) Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

That will be a hard bill to fill. The close-by mountain lakes (Fontana, Santeetlah, James, Nantahala ) have limited facilities. Look at Lake Keowee and Hartwell in SC....they are much more developed. Also Douglas Lake near Dandridge Tenn. Lake Norman near Charlotte is very developed, but not in the mountains.

Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

Great! Thank you for the information. I will research the lakes you mention. Thanks again! (I tried to reply earlier but this site was down.)

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

Try Lake Lure--just a little under an hour from Asheville. You may be looking for a larger lake but if not, it is quite lovely. Chimney Rock Park is very near there--nice for hiking.

Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

Thank you for your reply. I had looked into Lake Lure but learned that we can not rent a boat for waterskiing. Apparently, Lake Lure has a policy that a non-resident can not rent a boat and pull a waterskier. Perhaps, I have wrong information. Do you know of a place on Lake Lure that will rent a boat and allow waterskiing?

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

Another option that is within 90 minutes of Asheville is Douglas Lake near Dandridge Tennessee...a big lake, lots of rental properties and marinas that rent ski-ready boats, PWC's, etc., some decent restaurants right on the lake. We travel there from Asheille several times a year and its a pleasant and scenic drive on US 25 through Hot Springs. Only Lake Hartwell on he Georgia /south Carolina line would offer those same options

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

Whoa, Sarah, I did not know that their rules were so restrictive on non-residents. I am so sorry I recommended Lake Lure!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

Yes. Lake Lure is a private lake with many restrictions.

Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

Thank you for your help, everyone! I will look at Douglas Lake, as Mangonboat suggested. Also, someone mentioned Lake Glenville, so I will look at it as well.

9. Re: Lakes in North Carolina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:19