We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BRP: Can we do all this in one day?

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
443 reviews
Save Topic
BRP: Can we do all this in one day?

We're planning on driving a part of the Blue Ridge Parkway next June. I'm not sure if we should allow one day or two for this particular section of it, which would be from Asheville to (roughly) Boone. We would like to stop (and hike a bit) at Craggy Gardens, Linville Falls, Linn Cove Viaduct, plus anything else worth stopping at along the way (suggestions?). We would also like to spend some time at Grandfather Mountain, and then drive onto Boone to spend the night.

Is it possible to do all this in one day, or should I plan for two? We could possibly wait and do Grandfather Mountain the next day, before we start for home.

Thanks!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BRP: Can we do all this in one day?

You can easily do this section of the parkway in one day, but of course it all depends on how long you wish to linger at each stop. At Linville Falls, for example, there's a rather easy trail to the falls that takes maybe an hour or so round-trip. Allowing roughly 2 hours of pure driving time from Asheville to Boone, you could spend an hour or more at several places and still have enough time for Grandfather Mountain. I'd suggest allowing at least 2 hours for Grandfather Mtn, but you can get in and out in an hour or less if you're in a big hurry.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,816 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BRP: Can we do all this in one day?

You could do Grandfather the next day. That's what I would do. It's only 15 miles from Boone. You can do the viaduct that day, too. It's really more of a driving thing, although you can get out and hike in the cove. I wouldn't hike the cove over visiting Grandfather, though. There's a lot more to see at Grandfather, both touristy and hiking wise. You could spend a week or more on the mountain. There's also the mile high swinging bridge (great views), visitor's center, nature center (animals), and of course you can hike to the top if you're in shape and not afraid of heights! Check out http://grandfather.com/ . It's a family favorite of ours. There are many smaller, less strenuous hikes, too. Really, the "high country " of NC is a destination in itself. Many people spend a week or two exploring the area including Boone, Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mt, the BRP, etc. I would plan to spend at least half a day at just Grandfather (not Linville Falls, that's would add more time), but I'm sure you could whiz through in an hour if you don't want to hike.

Edited: 09 August 2011, 16:41
3. Re: BRP: Can we do all this in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 15:16