We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Documentary ideas!?

Manchester, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
American Documentary ideas!?

hello all!!

At the end of this month I am travelling to america to make a series of short films about mind blowing things in the states.

The series is based on finding things that are totally different in the states than in he UK, Things can have the power to blow minds, to make my jaw drop or freak me out, the sky is the limit.

Anything goes...

A Food, A Drink, A Tradition, A Sport, An Idea, A Place, A Person, An Event, An Object, An Organisation, A Performance

Anything you feel could be different in america than in England would be so beneficial, my first series will be focused on the east coast states so things that are situated there would be even better.

Ideas so far....Golden Corral Buffet Bars, Niagara Falls, Hooters, Canine Frisbee Disc World Finals etc.

The series will be featured on http://www.davidtodd.co.uk/kmeso.html , you can find details on there and keep checking back for updates.

Raleigh Room Escapes
Performances, Room Escape Games
Horn in the West
Parks, Theatres, Other Outdoor Activities, Performances
Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Documentary ideas!?

Here are a few North Carolina thoughts for what they're worth:

--Grandfather Mountain's mile-high swinging bridge

--A traditional pig-pickin', ideally at an autumn "ingathering" at a country church

--Hang gliding at Jockey's Ridge

--Rafting/kayaking on the Nantahala River

--the British cemetery on Ocracoke Island

--A kiln opening at a Seagrove pottery

--Cruising the Intracoastal Waterway

--a college football game

--a fiddler's convention

Too bad you're just a little late for the Hollerin' Contest at Spivey's Corner. :)

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Documentary ideas!?

Dunno if you'd have any luck persuading them to allow you to film one of their services, but there are several religious groups in this region that practice venomous snakehandling and drinking poison during private services.

I know that's probably on the bizarre end of things you'd consider, but it never fails to astound me when I see the occasional report on it. Such a documentary subject might also dovetail nicely by contrast with British cultural issues concerning Muslim fundamentalism.

If the subject interests you, the site below claims to be an "official" website:

Btw, in no way do I advocate or endorse such practices. I can't stand spiders OR snakes. :/

On the lighter side of things, you could document either of the fanatical rivalries that exist here in NC: the Duke-UNC college basketball rivalry, or the eastern vs. western (Lexington)-style pork BBQ feud. Both rivalries have their staunch adherents who will argue to the death for the supremacy of their "side".

In fact, some might argue that kissing a Tarheel is about as close to snakehandling as you can get without messing with the real thing. ;-)

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American Documentary ideas!?

Oh! I see a misprint....it should read "kissing a Duke Blue Devil is as close to snakehandling as you can get without messing with the real thing." .... Kissing a Tar Heel is as close to Heaven as you'll come on earth! ;-)

Yes, I think the North Carolina Tar Heel vs. Duke Blue Devil rivalry would be an interesting topic. Nothing else quite like it anywhere else. While the rivalry is quite fierce especially over basketball, the two universities (only 7 miles apart) have many joint ventures and research collaborations. The universities have the only program of it's kind in the U.S., which allows students at the two universities to take 1 course per semester at the other university; the universities provide a shuttle bus between the two campuses which runs all day, everyday into the night.

Additionally, the Universities share a prestigious scholarship; The Robertson. The lucky half of the recipients attend UNC-Chapel Hill for their undergraduate years but must spend one of those semesters attending Duke University, while the unlucky other half must attend Duke undergrad and only get to spend one semester at UNC. ;)

.....You"ll find interesting basketball museums on both campuses,(plus a lot of great history....UNC-Chapel Hill is the oldest public university in the U.S.) plus people around the campuses and in all areas of NC who'll be more than happy to share their opinion on the matter.

NASCAR and all the driver's garages located around Charlotte, NC might be another interesting topic. The NASCAR Hall of Fame is located in Charlotte.

Here's 2 good ole time NC festivals....Mule Days http://www.bensonmuledays.com/ and the Woolly Worm Festival www.woollyworm.com/index.php…

If you are interested in South Carolina too, here's a tacky, wacky piece of Americana... thesouthoftheborder.com/2009/…

Best Wishes!

Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Documentary ideas!?

Boiled peanuts--the spicier, the better. I love them but some might consider boiled peanuts an acquired taste. You can find them at many a roadside stand in the South.

Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Documentary ideas!?

Oh, and for fun, try Sliding Rock outside Brevard, North Carolina. Just went there. Invigorating!

6. Re: American Documentary ideas!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 03:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now