We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where the best place for a family vacation with plenty to do

belfast
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where the best place for a family vacation with plenty to do

My husband and I and our 5 year old son are planning to head for a week to North/South Carolina for a week but want somewhere with not only great beaches but places near by for dinner/drinks (walking distances) as well as things to do for the little one. Originally from the UK but living in CT and travelling down so no idea where is best. Clean beach is a Must!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where the best place for a family vacation with plenty to do

You have a wide range of great choices. The Outer Banks is outstanding. The area around Beaufort, NC and Atlantic Beach is great. And on further S is Wrightsville Beach at Wilmington, NC. In SC you could visit Myrtle Beach and Pawley's Island and then head to Charleston which is a great city to visit. There are several islands close to Charleston.

north carolina
Level Contributor
120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where the best place for a family vacation with plenty to do

I definitely recommend the NC beaches, but which one depends on your style and budget. My family's favorites (both of my kids are under 7 yrs) are:

1. Nags Head: wide beach, plenty of resteraunts. Plus, you can easily go to Roanoke Island for the gardens, aquarium, Lost Colony play, Aligator River State Park.

2. Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills: Again, great beach and close to: Jockey's Ridge State Park (100 ft. sand dunes- my kids love to play on!), Wright Bros Memorial, Kitty Hawk Kites

3. Bald Head Island: You have to take a ferry from Southport, NC (short ride- only 20 min but my kids love it). It's a little pricier than my previous suggestions, but beautiful and special- no cars allowed on the island. Everyone bikes or takes a golf cart. Nearly all house rentals come with both. There are several beaches that are wide and have tide pools so even very small children can play. There are several maritime forest walks, the light house, a kayak rental place, ice cream place and a few very yummy- but casual- restaurants. Sometimes homes also will include temporary memberships to either the Bald Head Island Club or the Shoals club which offer pools/tennis/golf/restaurants.

4. Finally, Duck or Corolla (pronounced Ca-ral-a) is a great family beach. The beaches are pristine and there are plenty of activities nearby. Nature walks, the Currituck Lighthouse and tours to search for the area's wild horses.

There are several other very nice beach areas, but these are our favorites.

3. Re: Where the best place for a family vacation with plenty to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:41