We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches for calm vacation

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches for calm vacation

We are looking for a North Carolina (or South Carolina) beach for vacation in June or July. We need a calm beach, ocean front, no cars on the beach if possible. Must have beach and pool access but ok to drive 15-20 min, maybe even 30 min to restaurants or activities. I have teens. Thanks for ideas

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches for calm vacation

I would look into Beacon's Reach at Pine Knoll Shores which is between Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. Rental condo's and houses vary in size and some are soundfront, but all have pool and beach access as well as nice areas to bike and walk or jog. It is close enough to restaurants, shopping, etc. and the aquarium. It may be a little more expensive but I think it would fit your needs.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches for calm vacation

Holden Beach, NC is a great family beach. Very calm, low-key, no crowds. No building on the island can be higher than 2 stories. There are no hotels on the island and only one small condo development on the oceanfront with a pool...Water's Edge. There's also a second row condo development further west on the island that also has a pool and tennis courts. They have a nice private beach access...Captain's Villas. Alan Holden Vacations rents units at both of these condos. You can find private homes with pools throughout the island area. Look for them through local realty companies and also rent directly from homeowner websites such as VRBO and HomeAway.

Along the causeway to the island there are several restaurants, shops, a grocery store, a small water-slide, a few putt-putt courses, ice cream shops and an arcade with several amusements, etc. Riding bikes, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, watching boats on the ICW, and wildlife in the marshes, along with long walks on the beach are favorite pastimes on the island. ncbeaches.com/brunswickbeaches/holdenbeach/

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,700 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches for calm vacation

The Carolina/Kure Beach area. Plenty to do, but not crazy-crowded. A 20 minute drive to Wilmington....or one hour or so down to Myrtle Beach for a day trip.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches for calm vacation

Good suggestions above. Actually just about any NC beach could meet your needs. I think the only beaches that get really crowded, to the point that it can be a pain, are Wrightsville and perhaps the Nags Head/KDH/Kitty Hawk area of the Outer Banks. Even then, the crowds aren't that bad as compared to Myrtle Beach or Va Beach. So I think you can be confident that you have plenty of choices.

In addition to the above suggestions, I'll add:

Sunset Beach

Ocean Isle Beach

Topsail Island

Oak Island/Yaupon Beach

Emerald Isle

Pine Knoll Shores

and any of the Outer Banks beaches beyond the Nags Head area (although some may be too remote for your kids).

If forced to narrow it down, I'd go with one of the Wilmington-area beaches (Kure, Carolina, Topsail), or one of the South Brunswick beaches (Sunset, Ocean Isle, or Holden, which are within a short drive to Myrtle Beach area attractions). Good luck!

Dayton, OH
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches for calm vacation

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I will look into those areas!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches for calm vacation

Nice post, Arbyunc!

7. Re: Beaches for calm vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:41