We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North & South Carolina

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
North & South Carolina

I was wondering if anyone has made any scenic side trips into North Carolina or South Carolina as they were driving down the coast. I am driving alone so I don't want to go inland too far off of a major highway (I will be starting in NJ). I am looking for picturesque, quaint town, scenery..not a city. Traveling in June. I

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North & South Carolina

Plenty of that along/near US 17 through NC. Look for towns like Edenton, Plymouth, Belhaven, Washington, New Bern, Sneads Ferry, and Southport, among others.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North & South Carolina

Don't forget Beaufort!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North & South Carolina

Thank you all. I will start to google these cities.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North & South Carolina

Can you recommend the "best" little town to visit that isn't too far off Interstate 95. Just tell me your favorite so I don't have to research all of them. I'd like a small, quaint town. Thanks.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,408 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North & South Carolina

I-95 does not go very near the coast. If you look at a map you can see that the coastlne of NC sticks out pretty far to the east into the Atlantic compared to SC and Va. I-95 runs straight down through the state and doesn't follow this curvature over to the coast. The outer banks are about 2.5 hrs from 95.

IMO, the I-95 corridor is the least desirable part of NC. The coast is beautiful. The mountains are beautiful. Portions of the piedmont (the rolling hills west of 95) are beautiful, but the portion of the state right around 95, not so much.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North & South Carolina

Well done, panchopup. The same goes for South Carolina. 95 is a snooze. And "best" is subjective.

arbyunc gave you some great recommendations. But none of them are right on 95. If you want quaint, you'll have to get off the highway, which you might welcome ;)

7. Re: North & South Carolina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:40