We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western NC/North Georgia Vacation

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Western NC/North Georgia Vacation

Hi- Im already planning next years summer vacation. Im looking to vacation somewhere in Southwestern North Carolina and Northern Georgia in the mountains. Places ive already covered in North Carolina include the Great Smoky Mountains, Ashesville/Biltmore Estate, Grandfather Mountain, Mount Mitchell, and Blowing Rock as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway North of Asheville. Ive been to the Smoky Mountains several times, but spent most of the time on the Gatlinburg/Tennessee side of the mountains, although I have driven over to Cherokee. And my vacation last year was to the Blowing Rock area of the NC mountains. Im thinking about staying at Highlands, NC and explore from there. I havent seen Chimney Rock, which seems like a doable day trip. Brevard seems like a cool destination as well. Along with Franklin and Cashiers. Maggie Valley up by the Smokies also sounds interesting. In Georgia, Brasstown Bald, Amicola Falls, Tallugh Gorge all sound like neat places. I have not been to Georgia before and ive heard the Georgia mountains are beautiful, so I def want to see some of North Georgia. So, for those of you who have vacationed in this area, what town would be the best base or multiple bases for this vacation? We will probably have a week for the vacation. Thanks-

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western NC/North Georgia Vacation

Franklin, NC would be pretty convenient for the places you mention, but the town itself sits down in a valley, and you'd probably prefer to stay somewhere with a view. There are cabin rentals and B&B's in the area, but you might prefer to stay in Highlands or Cashiers, as they are both much higher up.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Western NC/North Georgia Vacation

The waterfalls in Transylvania County ( Brevard area) are nice- many to see. And, the Cradle of Forestry is there too. In N. Ga - the little "Bavarian" town of Helen is interesting of you are close by but not worth a long trip.

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Western NC/North Georgia Vacation

Thanks-

How much do Cashiers or Highlands offer as far as restaurants and stuff? Franklin seems nice, so does Brevard. They all seem somewhat close to each other. Highlands and Cashiers seem picturesqe and high elevation which I like. Chimney Rock looks like a little bit more of a hike than the other destination, but not unreasonably far.

Thanks

Poland
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western NC/North Georgia Vacation

See description and photos from my trip to Ashville to my blog

…wordpress.com/appalachian-mountains/

Maybe something you choose

Clarksville...
Level Contributor
718 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Western NC/North Georgia Vacation

Thanks

I would like to possibly split up my trip between spending some time in North Georgia and Southwestern NC. I've been to the Smokies before and would like to explore other places like Highlands,NC. In North Georgia, Helan, GA sounds like it would be a cool place to stay. Two places I would like to see that will probably be out of the way no matter where I stay is Chimney Rock,NC and the Catalochee section of GSMNP (the only part of the smokies I have not seen).......in the interest of time I could cross that one off but I def want to see Chimney Rock , ive missed it on several past trips. I also wouldn't mind exploring the section of the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville (only driven on it north of Asheville) and the Cheatoa Skyway.

Thanks

6. Re: Western NC/North Georgia Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:17