We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

Glos
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

We are planning a road trip round the Carolinas and need to sort out the section from Wilmington to Asheville. Any thoughts on which towns and sights are worth taking in on the way. It looks as if the route is either via Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Judith

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

I-40 all the way.

Wow! Mapquest has you going through Columbia, S.C.

Now, I'm not so sure!

Edited: 14 July 2012, 17:17
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

If you take the route through Raleigh/Durham, you could stop in Salem to visit Old Salem (Moravian settlement), if that kind of thing interests you. If you like art, the North Carolina Art Museum outside Raleigh is great. Another option is the Duke University Chapel. Lots of other options - it depends on what you like.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

When you get to I 95 on your way to Asheville go N a few miles to Lumberton. Get off I 95 at Exit 20 in Lumberton, NC to the right then turn NW on Highway 201 which is N Roberts Ave. and go about half a mile to Fuller's BBQ for good road food. Or get off at Exit 22 and go to Nelson’s for good BBQ. I think Nelson’s is the best.

Fuller's Old Fashion BBQ @ 3201 N Roberts Ave., Lumberton, NC. 910 - 738 - 8694.

http://www.fullersbbq.com/index.html

Nelson’s BBQ @ 4880 Kahn Drive Lumberton, NC 910 - 739 - 3350.

http://www.nelsonsbarbecue.com/

Stop in at the neat town of Black Mountain, NC which is 15 miles E of Asheville and enjoy the neat shops and restaurants.

http://www.blackmountain.org/

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

I don't know about 40, that was my initial thought, too, but looking at google maps it shows the 74 route via Charlotte and Gastonia might actually be a little bit quicker. I'm not sure though. You'd probably hit more traffic lights that way.

Jbav, what are your interests?

There's not a lot on 74 btwn Wilmington and Charlotte. It's pretty classic small town North Carolina. A few traffic lights, maybe a barbecue joint or two, but a lot of piney woods and tobacco and cotton fields.

Charlotte has some interesting museums and is big on NASCAR if that appeals to you. Plenty of good restaurants.

If you're a golf buff you might want to swing by Pinehurst, home to many golf tournaments.

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are all home to museums, universities, and good restaurants. Raleigh is also the state capitol.

it just depends on your interests.

If I was just trying to make good time and get there quickly, I'd be inclined to go I-40 because it's a straight shot, no stops, and a higher speed limit.

Glos
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

Thanks for the replies so far. As for our interests, we are not into golf. We like the history of the area and pretty landscapes. I thought Charlotte might be just an ordinary suburban town to be avoided.

The Moravian settlement could be interesting. I didn't know about that.

The BBQs sound interesting, are they typical of NC? Are they just by the roadside for anyone to turn up? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I dont know much about the Carolinas apart from Civil War stuff. That is why we want to visit and we want to pack as much in our 3 weeks as poss.

We do like eating and drinking. Aren't there wineries in this area?

Thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it

Judith

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

There are wineries in NC - check out www.visitncwine.com I think more of them will be closer to the I40 route. As for BBQ, you will be able to eat it at many roadside restaurants where it is a specialty. It is very typical of NC. In fact, there is a raging debate about what type of BBQ is better - Eastern or Lexington style (based on the whether the meat is a whole pig or a shoulder, among other things). It is all delicious!

Glos
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

To NCPat

Thanks, the BBQs sound fascinating. We will definitely try them! We dont have things like that in England.......maybe because of our weather!

Judith

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

Hi jbav,

Just to add a bit to the prior comments...It seems the I-40 route would align more closely with your interests. I think your impression of Charlotte is accurate at some level. It's a nice city, and there are fun things to do there, but it's not so much a unique tourist destination as compared to other areas of the state. And due to the traffic it may actually take longer than the I-40 route. So unless you have a specific reason to go there (like the Nascar museum or Carowinds), I'd suggest avoiding Charlotte.

You didn't say how long you plan to take or how many stops you'd like to make or how much time you have, so I'll just throw out a few things out there:

For a very good example of NC eastern style barbecue, stop at Allen & Son just off I-40 at Chapel Hill. Nothing fancy--just great barbecue. And yes, everyone is welcome--just walk in and seat yourself.

Agree with ncpat's recommendation above for Old Salem in Winston-Salem--it is definitely worth a stop since you're interested in history. You can spend a few hours there taking the tours if you want, or you can just take 30 minutes or so to stretch your legs and walk around the settlement. Be sure to visit Winkler's Bakery for some mouthwatering treats!

Westbend Winery is located just a few miles off of I-40, just west of Winston-Salem. It's probably the best all-around winery within a reasonable distance of I-40. If you are more interested, you might want to make a longer detour up US 421 to visit more of the Yadkin Valley wineries--Raffaldini, Stony Knoll, and Flint Hill all get high marks, and there are a number of others in the area as well. You might even choose to make a day of it and stay in a bed & breakfast nearby.

Black Mountain, NC, is a small mountain village located off I-40, just east of Asheville. Well worth a stop to look around and visit the shops if you have time.

Google the above for details and directions. Good luck!

Edited: 16 July 2012, 13:33
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

To clarify, BBQ in NC is basically pulled, smoked pork, but there's quite a debate on the best way to prepare it and the sauces. A bbq joint is just a restaurant that serves bbq. In NC, "barbecue" is a noun. We have "cook-outs" in the backyard when people in other parts of the US have "barbecues". And barbecue in NC is ALWAYS pork unless otherwise specified. You can get bbq chicken, but it will say chicken. If it says just BBQ/barbecue/bar-b-cue/barbeque then that is always pork. In Texas they serve beef barbecue, but you won't usually find that in NC. Check out www.ncbbq.com/Modules/Articles/article.aspx…

As far as pretty landscapes in NC, the beaches and the mountains are the prime tourist areas. The mountains are beautiful and the beaches are beautiful. The nicest areas in between are best described as pleasant. There's not really a wow factor for anywhere in between the mountains in between. There are a lot of suburban towns. If you're looking for a place to stretch your legs or lay your head there are nice places to stop, but I wouldn't characterize anywhere in the middle of the state as a big tourist destination. Lots of nice places though, just not as much wow as far as pretty landscapes.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which route from Wilmington to Asheville

Doh, my proofreading skillz are slipping. That should be:

"There's not really a wow factor for anywhere in between the mountains and the beaches."