We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

Miami, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

I am planning a weekend getaway on a cabin in Asheville, NC for my DH 30th birthday. A bunch of his friends will be going to surprise him. I am debating whether or not to take our 4 month old baby. This will be the first time we leave him but I concerned if will be safe for him to go through plane, car drive and cold for a weekend. Also, I am sure we won't be able to enjoy things the same if we have to be taking care of him. One of his friends going is taking their 1 year old and insist on me taking the baby. What should I do? Experience anyone?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

I remember how difficult it was to leave babies at home when taking a grown-up trip a long way from home. My husband and I used to take snow-skiing trips to the West coast with old college friends when my kids were babies/little. But looking back, it was the best thing for everyone. My husband and I got to enjoy our friends (who all left their babies/kids at home too) and our destination more and our kids and our parents(who always were happy to keep the grand-babies) had the opportunity to spend time apart from us to form wonderful, deep relationships. I also noticed through the years what confidence it gave my kids that they were okay if someone besides mom and dad were looking after them. (I have friends and family who would never leave their kids and later those kids had problems even spending the night with friends, and/or going to camp.)

The best things about Asheville as a vacation destination are geared toward adults and older kids....Biltmore Estate, hiking, art galleries, restaurants/bars with live music, etc. etc. You'll just be dragging your baby around, and no baby is happy with that for long...and if baby isn't happy, Mom isn't happy. To get the most of that destination and your time there, you'd be smart to organize everything your baby will need while you're gone and for peace of mind, go over routines, etc. with their caregiver, then go on with your husband and enjoy your adult weekend...the friend would be smart to do so also.

Best Wishes!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

Now, in winter? As much as we travelled with our kids when they were little, if you are coming soon, it might be a bit of shock (cold weather for him...)

My advice - leave him home with a good babysitter & call home often. You might be able to enjoy yourself more...& your DH...:)

Miami, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

I am going on march 22

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

March in NC can be spring-like warm(even a few summertime temps), or brutally winter cold....take a look at the dates of NC's record snowfalls...

Snow-North Carolina

Event; Measurement; Date; Location

Greatest 24-Hour Snowfall 36 inches (91 cm) March 13, 1993 Mount Mitchell

Most snow from one storm 60 inches (152 cm) April 2–6, 1987 Newfound Gap, Swain County, Great Smoky Mountains National Park

You won't know what type weather you'll be facing until just before you leave home. My biggest concern would be for the baby's health, every plane I've been on in the past few years there have been really sick people on board, coughing, sneezing, puking, etc. (I think I'll do like many Asians do next trip..wear a face mask!) These people are uncaring about their own health and putting everyone else's health at risk too.. Babies don't have the immune system that older kids and adults do, I certainly wouldn't risk my child's health by taking them on a plane for short weekend trip. You might get to Asheville with a sick baby.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

Ask your pediatrician.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

I think this is more of a parenting question than a vacation question. You might ask on some parenting forums.

Asheville is very family friendly in my experience with little kids, so it should be no problem to bring him if you decide you want to. We took our kids there when they were little bitty.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

Aylinsem, even though your post was serious, it gave me my laugh for the day. This does not sound like a fun weekend. Been there, done that!

The boys will be celebrating and you and your fellow mommy (who sounds rather pushy) will be taking care of babies. And of course she wants you to bring your baby--she doesn't want to be stranded by herself with a baby while everyone else is having "fun."

My guess is that not only will the boys give you wide berth, but the wives without babies will give you wide berth too. They came to have fun, not take care babies. Sure, they'll fetch a clean diaper for you now and again but that is all the help you are going to get.

My guess is that you really want to bring your baby--or you wouldn't be posting here. Have you considered planning something closer to home that won't wear out mommy and baby?

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

I think Ways2go nailed it:-). The other adults there are going to want to have fun and party, and will be avoiding you, the other Mom, and babies like the plague;-). I'd go so far to say that they might not be thrilled to be woken in the night/early morning by the little ones. And the one year old will probably be more work than the four month old...not sure what your friend is thinking by bringing one that age to an adult getaway weekend. Think of all the stuff the tot will be getting into it just in the cabin! Add to that the germs on the plane, the hassle of dragging all the baby gear with, and doing all that just to end up sitting in the cabin while most of the other adults do fun, grown up things....I'd be leaving the baby at home:-).

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

Sheesh! We took our kids and babies on trips all the time when they were little. It was great. Our oldest danced to the buskers on the street in Asheville when she was about 2. Personally, I would never have even thought about leaving my 4 month old at home and going 800 miles away, but this is really a parenting decision. Talk to your husband about it, not a bunch of people you don't know on the internet.

Asheville is very family friendly and, in my experience, 4 month olds are very portable. Pop 'em in the stroller or carrier and off you go. If you want to bring him I think Asheville would be a great town for traveling w/ a baby.

homegrownbabies.com/postpartum-mamas/…

http://www.ashevillefamilyresource.com

bestkidfriendlytravel.com/2009/…

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 month old on DH birthday weekend getaway???

Pancho, you're a guy, aren't you? I agree--many people truck around a 4-month-old in Asheville. I don't think that is the issue here, at least not from Kren's and my perspective.

This trip to Asheville might be a nice change of scenery for Aylinsem if she were planning the trip for herself and her family or for her family and another family with a little one in tow. Otherwise, it is just no fun at all the be one of the few moms with a small baby. You get left out of a lot of the fun. And hubby is not going to be much help here--it's his birthday and all his buddies and maybe their wives will be there. "Honey, you don't mind if I go out for a couple of hours to the (Biltmore, nightclub, hike, nice restaurant) with the others, do you? Aw, thanks for understanding, Sweetie." That's how it will play out, Pancho.

Truly, other "babyless" adults (unless they are grandparents) do not want to arrange their hard-earned vacation time around a baby. That is just the way it is--I have seen it happen again and again. It's very predictable--and rather understandable, I think.