We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer Banks trip question

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
56 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Outer Banks trip question

My husband and I would like to do a car trip from Atlanta up through the outer banks and returning down the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are interested in going off season to hopefully get better rates on hotels and miss the crowd. We are not hang at the beach people - we love to walk on the beach - see the sites and eat good seafood at night.

My question on the Outer banks is should we plan on stopping at several spots on the way from Wilmington up or is there a location that we could do day trips to see the sites and stay put for a few days? We have up to 2 weeks to complete this trip.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

April

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outer Banks trip question

You can get from Wilmington to the Outer Banks 'by land or by sea'. One route would take you up through Morehead City/Beaufort/Cedar Island and then by ferry to Ocracoke (lovely island filled with character, beaches, history). From there, you can ferry over to Hatteras Island and then drive north on Hwy 12 towards Nags Head/Kitty Hawk. Along the way you can visit the Hatteras Lighthouse and National Seashore beaches.

The other option is to head to Nags Head/Kitty Hawk area where you can make day trips to sites like Wright Brothers monument, Jockey's Ridge, Manteo, Hatteras Lighthouse, etc. You can also do a day trip to Ocracoke from there, but it is a very long day.

Do you have 2 weeks for your entire trip (loop back to Atlanta)?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
56 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outer Banks trip question

Thanks for your advice. Can you let me know some good places to stay along the way? We can take up to 2 weeks to loop back around to Atlanta. I had thought 4-6 days from Wilmington up through the Outer Banks would be enough time but please let me know if think we should spend more time there.

April

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outer Banks trip question

Agree with ncpat...I'd suggest taking the Cedar Island Ferry to Ocracoke, spend the night there, then drive the next day up to Nags Head/Kitty Hawk and spend at least 2 nights there. When you're ready to leave the Outer Banks, take US 64/I-40 to Winston-Salem (about 5 hours from Manteo), then you have a choice. You can take US 421 to Boone/Blowing Rock, maybe spend a night or two there, then take the BRP south to Asheville and beyond. Or, if you want to get more BRP experience, from Winston-Salem take US 421 to I-77 north, then US 21 to pick up the BRP near Sparta, NC. From here it's just over an hour to Boone/Blowing Rock via the BRP.

Of course, there are many variations on the above. You might consider taking US 52/I-74 from Winston-Salem to Mt. Airy to visit its quaint downtown, then pick up the BRP at Fancy Gap, Va. Just depends on how much parkway driving you want to do, and what specific places you care to visit.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
56 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outer Banks trip question

Thanks for taking the time to respond. This gives me a great starting point to plan our little excursion.

5. Re: Outer Banks trip question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:16