We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NC or SC beach holiday with children ? Hilton Head or OBX?

France
Level Contributor
41 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
NC or SC beach holiday with children ? Hilton Head or OBX?

Hi there we are planning to fly to Charlotte from NY for a week with our two children (8 and 9) in Late August. We live in France and so I am not really very familiar with where we should go. We want to stay on or near a beach but in an 'upmarket' location either in a rental or four/five star hotel. I have read the forums but am still not sure. The children love the beach but we love restaurants and shopping so we are looking for a good mix . As we have never visited before should we go to Savannah? Any help you can give us would be great fully received. I am sorry I can't be more specific .

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,733 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NC or SC beach holiday with children ? Hilton Head or OBX?

To be honest, that sounds like you're wanting a South Carolina beach to me. Most North Carolina beaches are less "upmarket" and more family friendly. I'd suggest posting in the South Carolina forum. Hilton Head springs to mind, as does Kiawah, but those aren't really my kinds of beaches so I can't give better advice than to say ask the SC people. Savannah is well worth a visit and please go see Charleston. Lots of shopping and fine dining and history there. Not to be missed.

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NC or SC beach holiday with children ? Hilton Head or OBX?

panchopup is right. You might want to look at the beaches near Charleston, since it's easier, IMO, to get into town from the beaches than from HH to Savannah. I love Savannah, but HH is not my kind of beach either.

You might want to book a place soon. August is popular at any beach.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NC or SC beach holiday with children ? Hilton Head or OBX?

Shopping, history, aquarium + beach - all near..

kiawahresort.com/accommodations/the-sanctuar…

You can still make a day trip to Savannah...

Not sure if still available for August, though...

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
4. Re: NC or SC beach holiday with children ? Hilton Head or OBX?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 06:17