We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
99 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction...

What I'm looking for:

B&B (or any lodging type, really) in the mountains in or near a rustic and small town. Being near attractions is a plus - I'm open to anything. Hiking and a place to go bike are a plus. I'm a history buff - I'm very much into microhistory, so even really small things are cool. My friend and I also wish to take pictures - he's a professional and I'm still learning.

We are considering *chasing waterfalls*. Medium affordability. I'd say $60 to $150 a night. Kitchenettes are nice.

Our vacation plans are in the very early stages of planning. Throw anything at me. I will form some more solid ideas. I'm so overwhelmed I don't know where to begin.

(This will also be posted in South Carolina and Virginia forums. We aren't sure which state to visit yet.)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

If you want to 'chase waterfalls', the towns of Highlands and Brevard are in good locations.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

My wife and I enjoy hiking at Hanging Rock State Park. There are a couple nice water falls here and some nice overlooks. www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/haro/main.php

There are rental cabins at the park and in the area and hotels a little further away... I am not familiar with any B&Bs....

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

How about a tree house?

exploreasheville.com/listings/…

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

I can highly recommend the Celo Inn in Celo, a crossroad community on Highway 80, about halfway between Burnsville and Spruce Pine. It is a cooperative community populated by someofthe country's most gifted artists and creftsmen, many ofwhom open their studios to the public. It is comfortable and offers a truly wonderful breakfast, all at a very affordable price. The Inn sits on the Toe River which offers good trout fishing and hiking opportunities abound. It is very close to Mt. Mitchell and within an easy, scenic drive to Asheville and/ or Blowing Rock

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

RaleighJim has a great suggestion. Gorgeous setting and not that far from Penland (another arts community). Celo is one of the sweetest spots in NC.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

I think if you're coming from LA, all the towns in the NC mountains will seem smallish and rustic. They're all great and you could find what you're looking for anywhere. Asheville is the biggest town and it's still got plenty of rustic charm.

7. Re: Mountainside B&B in or near Rustic/Smallish Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 06:19