We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

History in N Carolina

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
History in N Carolina

Hi

We are travelling from Blowing Rock to Charlotte in a couple of weeks and would like to make a couple of interesting stops on the way. Any suggestions?

We are visiting from England and would very much like to experience a Plantation if anyone can suggest an interesting one on or near that route, or other historical sites.

Also, we are in Charlotte for two days to shop but are there any must see sites whilst we are there!

Thanks very much for your help. We want to get as much from our trip to he area as possible.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: History in N Carolina

The best examples of restored plantations are located closer to the coast of NC and SC. That said, Latta Plantation, a restored cotton plantation and nature preserve, will be easily accessible for you. It's located just north of Charlotte. While not as grand as some of the coastal plantations, it is well worth a visit: www.lattaplantation.org/latta/index.php…

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: History in N Carolina

That's really helpful. Thank you. We're going on to spend a week in Folly Beach - could you suggest good plantations to get to from there if the coast might be better. I really appreciate your help.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: History in N Carolina

You're in luck, because the Charleston area has several historic plantations nearby. Here's a link:

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/attractions~31/plantations_gardens~50/

I can recommend Boone Hall as I've visited there (although it's been a number of years), but you may want to visit the Charleston Tripadvisor forum and ask for opinions there. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Edited: 04 September 2013, 20:12
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: History in N Carolina

Blowing Rock is not that far from Asheville. Have you considered Biltmore Estate? On the way to Charlotte, if you take Hwy 11, there are some historic battleground sites. While in Charlotte, agree, Latta Plantation is about the only option for Plantations. There is plenty to do in Charlotte, but not much in regards to historical sites.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: History in N Carolina

One of your ancestors may have fought here:

http://www.nps.gov/guco/index.htm

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: History in N Carolina

You might consider going to the museum of the new south in Charlotte. They have several events in September 2013 about the 50th anniversary of some civil rights actions. There permanent exhibit is also quite interesting. This is basically the history of the south since the civil war. You could also check out Kings Mountain Military Park about the Revolutionary War battle that was fought there. The trail is interesting as is the film. Charlotte was a small town in the 19th century and there was definitely more wealth along the coast - there were plantations here but they were smaller and had fewer slaves/share croppers. You might want to check out the Harvey Gantt African American history center for more about that important but sad part of our history.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: History in N Carolina

Rosedale is the other plantation in Charlotte you can tour.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 23:33
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: History in N Carolina

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful and I appreciate your time

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: History in N Carolina

Whilst-I love that word!-in Blowing Rock, you should visit Cone Manor which, while not a plantation, does give one a sense of how industrial magnates escaped the summer heat. Also, i would recommend stopping by the Green Park Inn for a meal or drink. They have some interesting artifacts and the food and drink are fine. Finally, in that area, the Mast General Store in Valle Cruces is a relic of another area and a good place to shop

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
341 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: History in N Carolina

Excellent. Thanks for that