We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to combine NC,SC, TN, GA and LA

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
How to combine NC,SC, TN, GA and LA

I know I have here like 3 different spots.

My question to you guys to recommend me the best way to combine and connect all of them.

Does it make sense at all, do I have to give up something?

How long I would need in each place, where part of the trip I should rent a car where is the car useless and where should I fly in order not to waste too much time?\

Are there places on the way worth visiting that I missed (probably there are)

Thanks a lot!

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to combine NC,SC, TN, GA and LA

What are your must-see spots in those five states, and how much time do you have for your trip? That's a huge geographic area. Do you want to go to the mountains or the seashore? Do you like hiking, bicycling, surfing, ecotouring or do you want to stick to cities? do you like civil war or revolutionary war history? Tell us a bit more about what you really want to see and do and we can make more specific suggestions.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,560 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to combine NC,SC, TN, GA and LA

In addition to Joy's questions, is it your intention to fly between locations?

All of the listed states have cities with active airports (even if only for commuter airlines), but those might not be really close to the areas, that you would enjoy most.

In years past, we have done auto trips to the states you mention, starting from New Orleans, where we resided, BUT those were usually 10 - 12 day trips, and were also focused on areas, that we had previously visited, so had a fair idea of where we wanted to revisit, or add to our experiences. Some lovely highways, BUT that will cut into your time to experience each state - and there ARE some great diversities in many.

More info on you, your desires and intentions, will be very helpful. If you do go the auto route, there is also a Road Trips Forum, where you might get some good pointers, after you have defined what you want to see.

Travel safely and enjoy.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to combine NC,SC, TN, GA and LA

Thank you very much for your answers and questions.

Actually I found (like Bill_Hunt mentioned) a "Trip Road Forum" and got there some answers too.

I would like to go by car "to feel the country" but on the other hand not to loose too much time.

So I might fly to New Orleans, as it is a bit out of the way. It is my first time at this part of the US and I don't know when will be the next. That's why I try to grab as much as I can in these very big areas.

I would like to see some of the coast, Savannah and Charleston, some of the mountain area in the Grand Smoky NP + New Orleans.

I'm very interested in the history and the civil war sites. That's why I consider up north from New Orleans and see the sites on the way. I would consider giving up Memphis and go towards Asheville GSNP and the Blue Ridge Pkwy. The more I read, the more Confused I become, but in general I think I'm about to decide to go clockwise from Charlotte (I have to start there), heading to the coast, fly to New Orleans, and then up through the plantations and civil war sites (with or without Memphis) towards Ashville, Cherokee and complete the circle in Charlotte again. Even considering the weather it makes sense to me starting in the coast and New Orleans beginning of April, and going to the mountains later in the month.

Does it make sense to you too?

Thanks a lot!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,560 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to combine NC,SC, TN, GA and LA

Giovanni17,

There IS so very much to be seen in the states that you mention. When we were younger, and seemed to have more time (not sure where all that went), we did many lovely auto trips, through the same areas, that you are interested in. Now, pressed for time, we fly over them, and I am sad, 'cause there is so much to see, right below me.

I am certain that the Road Trip folk will be helpful, and I will drop by that thread. I could offer so many routes, with sights and sites along the way, but it would probably require that you spend 3 mos. doing the trip, and you woul STILL miss so very much. With Interstate Hwys, you can pick areas, with little interest to you, jump on one to speed things along, then jump off to one of the more scenic highways, to slow down, and see more. Still, there is such a wealth of sights and locations, for varied interests, that picking where to slow down, might be the toughest part of the trip. See you in that RT thread.

Good luck, and travel safely.

Hunt

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
22 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to combine NC,SC, TN, GA and LA

Thank you so much, Hunt, on both forums!!!

6. Re: How to combine NC,SC, TN, GA and LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 06:19