We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in North Carolina

Melbourne
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Three days in North Carolina

As part of a month long trip around the states, I've got three days in NC to check it out. After spending the weekend of 26/27 April with a friend in Washington DC, on the Sunday night I will head to Durham, where my friend lives and works. However he will be back at work so I'll be traveling around by myself until I head to Orlando on the Thursday morning.

I'm welcome to stay at my friend's house and stay locally to Durham, or I can hire a car and see a bit more of the state.

Things I like include eating good food, seeing nice views, good shopping and learning about the interesting history of a place. I also love nature but won't specifically have hiking gear with me on this trip. I love the beach but in austral

If you were me, what would you do? Hire a car and go where? Or stay with my friend in Durham and look around there? These few days are probably a good opportunity for some "downtime" in the middle of a very busy month long itinerary (next stop Disney world!), but at the same time I don't want to just sit on the couch for three days.

Ok, what are your thoughts and ideas?

Thanks!

Katie :-)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three days in North Carolina

Oops, I forgot to finish a sentence back there. I was going to say I love good beaches but in Australia we have some very lovely ones . But I'm definitely open to be beach ideas too!

Thanks again

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
5 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three days in North Carolina

Hello kpeps: Durham is a great town, especially the downtown area. I would highly recommend the restaurant called "Bull City Burger & Brewery" in Durham. While you are downtown, check out a Durham Bulls baseball game, or see who is performing at the DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center). The NC beaches are wonderful here too. The drive to outer banks beaches (Kitty Hawk or Nags Head) of North Carolina takes about 4 or 5 hours. The outer banks are beautiful and they are unique to the east coast of the USA. We often visit Holden Beach, NC. Holden Beach is quiet and you can find a rental condo fairly easy that time of year. Another idea is to see the mountains on the Blue Ridge Parkway off of highway 421 near Deep Gap as you travel towards Boone, NC. That portion of the parkway would be about a 4 hour drive from Durham. I would recommend driving the parkway from highway 421 to highway 321 to Blowing Rock, NC (about 20 miles). You would see some beautiful views of the blue ridge mountains on a clear day. I would avoid if rainy. There are some great restaurants in Blowing Rock, NC. If you get to Blowing Rock, try Kilwin's, they have great sweets. I hope this info helps. Safe travels. :-)

NC
Level Contributor
406 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three days in North Carolina

Lots of good museums in Raleigh - near Durham. The N.C. Museum of Art is especially nice and has great walking trails too. A couple of hours away is Winston-Salem, NC - easy to get to. Visit Old Salem there - a restored colonial town that is worth the drive from Durham. You can mountains or beaches but you'll spend a lot of time on freeways instead of seeing things if you only have 3 days. You've got a lot of good choices within two hours of Durham.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,537 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three days in North Carolina

I would say either Winston-Salem, just about 1.5 hours to the west....or Wilmington, 2 hours to the south. Both easy drives, Interstate all the way. Both historic cities, lots to see and explore. In Wilmington you could even head over to the beach, about 15 minutes away and take a quick look.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three days in North Carolina

Really depends how much you want to be in the car. Outer Banks is great, but quite the round trip drive. Wilmington and it's beaches is a nice suggestion. A drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful if the weather is nice. Old Salem is interesting, perhaps Lexington for BBQ, and you are very close to Raleigh, which has a cool downtown. You could also visit Yadkinville wine country to see how it stacks up against the Australian vineyards.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,382 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three days in North Carolina

It's not that far to Nag's Head from Durham, y'all. It's about 3.5 hrs. Just as far to the mountains. But since you've got great beaches in Oz, you might like to check out the mountains. I really like the Boone/Blowing Rock area (which is about 3 hrs from Durham).

There are quite a lot of really good restaurants in Durham and Chapel Hill, so if you want some downtime Durham could be a good spot for that. There are things to do, but the scenery, while very pleasant, is not going to blow your socks off. Late April/early May is a lovely time to be in NC (and SC), though. There should be a lot of flowers in bloom. You might like to check out Duke Gardens, the NC Art Museum in Raleigh and the grounds, and the NC Botanical Gardens in Chapel Hill.

I think Durham has plenty to keep you busy and I wouldn't really choose Winston-Salem over the Triangle (Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill). The mountains would be beautiful, though.

It really depends on how much you want to drive. I'd probably suggest an overnight or two in the mountains in general (especially to a visitor from Oz who is heading down to Florida where presumably you will see even more beaches), but if you just want to eat good food and chill I think that you're in a pretty good place to do that, too. If you're here over a weekend there will probably be some kind of event going on (like an outdoor concert at Duke Gardens, etc, or a food truck rodeo).

Edited: 27 February 2014, 15:08
7. Re: Three days in North Carolina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:21