We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

Suffolk
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

Hi,

In May (arriving on 23rd) my husband and I will arrive Dulles Int Airport, pick u pa car and then decide where to go and what to do. We will be in USA for 17 days. On a previous visit in 2007 we drove right down to New Orleans, on the way we found Pigeon Forge which was a great experience. We dont have as long as before so do not want to go that far and also think it would be good to try some different places. We prefer to try and see the "real side" of an area as well as any listed Tourist Attractions and there must be many place that are not listed as holiday destinations (at least for us in the UK) that would be great to see. We are going to go to Lancaster to see the Amish County and was thinking of going to Kentucky but would be rally grateful for any suggestions from people who know the area as to where else we might go. My husband is fine with driving but obviously we dont want to spend days on end in the car, so we can go anywhere within a reasonable distance as long as we are back in Dulles for our return on 9th June.Any suggestions/recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

Elizabeth

Level Contributor
1,139 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

You might want to post in Virginia forum also for some off the beaten path ideas. Chincoteague, Assateague islands, middle peninsula area.

In NC one small place with fascinating history is Bath NC, original capital and has a connection with Blackbeard, Edward Teach. Ocracoke island has lots of history and the drive down the length of the outer banks is fun.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

And in your driving tour through thestate of North Carolina, consider either the east coast (The Outer Banks) or the western end the famous (Blue Ridge Parkway) which starts in Virginia. Have a great trip and be safe!

Edited: 27 March 2014, 01:29
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

I can think of many different things/routes involving some of NC's highlights.. Blue Ridge Parkway from Boone/Blowing Rock to Asheville; small mountain towns, mountain hikes, white-water rafting, kayaks, waterfalls, arts and culture, NC Barbeque, music, Biltmore House in Asheville, etc. Could also do a route to include some of NC Wine country, and/or much of the history-filled Outer Banks, and small picturesque historic towns along the coast... Bath, New Bern, Beaufort.

Roadtrips forums might be more helpful than regular states' forums....here's TA's tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri… and another... www.roadtripamerica.com/forum/forum.php

Best Wishes! I love roadtrips! :)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

You could also drive thru the state of West Virginia on your way to North Carolina. (Down Interstate 81, then take I-64 West, then I-77 South) Off of 64 in White Sulphur Springs, WV is the world famous Greenbrier Resort. You can walk the grounds and all around the inside of this gorgeous hotel. Maybe stop in the lovely town of Lewisburg just down the road. Voted one of USA's "Coolest Towns". Continue on I-64 to Beckley, WV and take a side trip (25 minutes) to the New River Gorge Bridge. Go to the tourist center there and to the overlook. Then back to Beckley heading south on I-77 to Virginia and North Carolina.

bridgewalk.com/facts-about-the-new-river-gor…

http://www.greenbrier.com/

http://www.downtownlewisburg.com/

Edited: 27 March 2014, 13:21
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

(Copying and pasting myself from the Road Trips forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7315819… )

The most scenic portions of the Carolinas are the mountains and the beaches. The middle of each state is where people live and work more, but not as pretty to visit. Lots of times when people do a trip out of DC they hit the NC mountains and the SC beaches. The NC mountains are better than the SC mountains and Charleston is a great Old South city.

Most scenic, tourist friendly locations in the Carolinas:

Boone/Blowing Rock, NC

Blue Ridge Parkway (lots of great stops between Blowing Rock and Asheville)

Asheville, NC

Cherokee, NC

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, NC/TN

Charleston, SC

Hilton Head, SC

Kiawah & other beaches

Beaufort SC

Savannah, GA (just over the SC/GA state line)

Myrtle Beach, SC

Hammock's Beach State Park, SC

Wilmington, NC

Southport, NC

Wrightsville Beach, NC

Beaufort, NC (there are two, one in NC and one in SC, the NC one is pronounced "boe-furt", so "boe" rhymes with "toe". The SC one is "byoo-furt", kinda like "blue" without the "L")

Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach/Pine Knoll Shores, NC

Cape Lookout, NC

Ocracoke, NC

Cape Hatteras, NC

Nag's Head & the Outer Banks, NC

----

Lots of places to see in Virginia, too. Charlottesville is a good suggestion. Shenandoah National Park, Skyline Drive, etc. Williamsburg, Va, lots of history. Some great little towns out in SW Va, too.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 13:37
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,379 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

The following is information about the beautiful state of North Carolina. Take a look and see if it helps you.

http://www.ourstate.com/app

www.blueridgeparkway.org

www.visitboonenc.com

www.mountainsofnc.com

www.blowingrock.com

www.visitnc.com

nc
Level Contributor
23 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

as others above, I highly recommend

1) driving along the national Blue Ridge Parkway in the west part of the state, you'll be in the Appalachian Mountain range. We love staying in Blowing Rock NC village.

2) and/or drive the length of the Outer Banks from Nags Head NC to Hatteras NC, then short ferry (no reservation needed) to Ocracoke NC. Then ferry from Ocracoke NC to Swan Quarter NC (reserve this one). Lots of this drive is National Seashore and other federally-protected land that cannot be developed.

enjoy, Jana

8. Re: First Time to North Carolina - Advice apprecaited

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:16