We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to North Dakota

NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
New to North Dakota

I've been reading great comments about Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Medora Musical, and other nice scenery in Medora. I am now interested in a trip to North Dakota and we would fly into Bismarck. I have some questions.

1 - Are there areas close to Bismarck or Medora that also offer great scenery or entertainment?

2 - I really enjoyed The Black Hills region of South Dakota. How is this scenery in North Dakota compare?

3 - Please offer any suggestions you may have. We'd figure on about 6 nights.

Thanks in advance.

travelus73

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to North Dakota

1. Lake Sacagwea is gorgeous. You can visit Washburn on the way up there too where Lewis and Clark wintered if you like history. In Bismarck/Mandan, we have Fort Lincoln park (with a trolley ride down to it if you'd like) as well as the state Capitol. In the summers, the riverboat is a lot of fun on the Missouri River. There is also the Enchanted HIghway between Bismarck and Medora with all kinds of sculptures. Also we have lots of events at different times of year, including up in MInot is the the Norsk HostFest and the state fair.

2. I maintain that TR has more color and less people than the Black Hills.

3. Try to book rooms in advance if it doesn't cause too much trouble. While our hotels have been built up very quickly, you never know if you might run into state basketball (not in the summer but you get the idea of events on random times). Please ask any questions and let us know if you have specific interests. While we're a quite bunch on here, I believe we all are very helpful and hopefully welcoming, just like the rest of the folks in the state!

2. Re: New to North Dakota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about North Dakota
Recent Conversations