We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice..

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Need Advice..

Looking at planning one or two trips(3-4 days each) to Ohio. Have been researching both the Hocking Hills area; and the Amish area. The question is...what time of year is best to visit either of these areas.

Background info.. we are a couple in our fifty's enjoy light hiking (not all days treks) great scenery, photography, interesting drives etc.

We tend to avoid summer trips as we like to avoid the crowds. Spring/fall are more likely times for us to travel. Looking for accommodations which aren't too expensive (we often get a motel room with a microwave and/or/frig so we can self cater some meals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice..

Unfortunately, the specific areas you are looking into are best in spring and fall, so that's when everyone else is there, as well!!!

Both areas are very popular from March/April through the Christmas holidays, in fact, there are tons of people who show up every year for the Old Man's Cave Winter Hike which is in January!!! Fall in the Hocking Hills is probably the most crowded, most likely the same can be said for Amish Country.

Ohioians love their outdoors, which is evidenced by the contributions the state, itself, makes to parks, lakes and nature preserves in all directions. Many Ohioians don't even leave the state for vacations, our parks system fills all their needs (we have decent campgrounds, lodges and cabins at many of the state parks).

So, all I'm trying to say is that no matter what season you come to Ohio, you will find others enjoying the same things you want to see. Just make some reservations and come, if you are able to come during the week, rather than over weekends, you'll find less traffic in both HH and Amish country.

Here's the link to the state parks, maybe a room at one of the lodges will work for you (they have the fridge/microwave in some of the rooms)...

ohiodnr.com/parks/tabid/80/Default.aspx

Look at Conkles Hollow Nature Preserve for one of your hikes, it's the best.

There are lots of cabins in the Hocking Hills area, but reserve early, they fill up quickly. Many people look for B&B's in Amish country (just make sure if you pick one that they do have electricity).

Enjoy your visit!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,126 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice..

Hocking Hills in the fall for sure. Go online and look for a cabin now to book for mid Oct. It books up fast. I LOVE this place: http://www.heritagecabin.com/ The Retreat is open mid Oct (weekend) others are already booked. Properties are spotless. The retreat is a little pricier, but really cute. Sets back a treed lane and a hot tub under the gazebo. All of these properties are near the northern end of HH.

Another place I really like: http://www.honeyfork.com (the link saying larger cabins) Both open the weekend of Oct 15th Stayed in the cabin in the woods and on the pond both. Also very clean and cute. In the woods is more cozy-- one on the pond has the great windows on the end overlooking the pond. You CAN see the road from the one on the pond, but it;s a back road and not much traffic. These 2 are farther south and near to Ash Cave.

If you go during the week, your odds of getting a place are higher, of course.

You can go here: http://www.hockinghills.com/availability.html and put in your dates to pull up all the properties available.

Amish country is great in the fall and spring both. WInter brings lots of closures up there. I'd do Amish Country in the spring, HH in the fall if you plan 2 trips.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice..

yep, i agree with what was said above!

if you want some light hikes when you're in Amish country, just let me know. some nice waterfalls there that not many people know about at all.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice..

We were in Amish country in October of 2009. Not a lot of people, but we were there during the week. It was very easy to get around and most places were not crowded at all. The colors were beautiful. The Hocking Hills are beautiful any time. But, for me the summer is too humid and hot. I prefer mid to late April and late Sept./early Oct.

Sd
Level Contributor
287 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice..

As we will be from Cleveland to Ashtabula to Holmes County etc during late April we would appreciate knowing about the waterfalls and other scenic areas. Thanks,

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice..

Thanks to everyone for your posts. The info you are sharing is so helpful and exactly what I need. Irish Lake, I am very interested in light hikes in Amish country and , I am really keen on finding any waterfalls....that is one of my special interests that I forgot to list! (goes along with the photography interest, I guess) Could you post the info here so we could all benefit. Also are the falls only active in the springtime when the water volume is higher? Thanks again for all the help, and if anyone else has any suggestions, please be sure and add them...

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice..

yep, i will find the info for you all and post it!!! i have to go look through some old college notebooks to find the directions... lol. i will get them to you soon though!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Advice..

ok, here we go!

Take 93 north out of Sugar Creek.

When you get just past Dundee, turn left onto CR 94 aka Walnut Creek Bottom Road aka Dundee-Strasburg road. (dont you love it when there's more than one name for a road?)

Turn right on Dundee-Wilmot Road.

Dundee-Wilmot wraps you around a few curves... parking area will be on the right hand side. (doesn't look like much, just a field with a gravel parking area ... you have to follow the treeline along the field to get to the hiking trails and waterfall though).

if you go (and manage not to get lost) be sure to lift up rocks along the creek and look for 2-lined salamanders! theyre all over the place there.

the second waterfall is located off Camp road. Take Dundee-Wilmot back out, and turn right on Camp. parking area will be on the right.

here is an ODNR map …state.oh.us/Home/…Default.aspx

if you see the two "P" parking areas on the lefthand side of the page, those are the two areas i'm referencing above.

Also, a really great leathersmith that we like to visit. it's been a while since i've been up there, so i hope he's still around. the leathersmith is RW Leather and he's located between Sugarcreek and Walnut Creek. He specializes in leather belts for dress and work. He also does embossing on the leather (beautiful patterns) if you want. Last time we were there in late fall of 2004, he hand made my husband a tool belt, as my husband is in construction. A belt like this would have cost $200 in a store, and he (Roy) charged $50. We've also bought a sling for my brother-in-law to use on his rifle. He also makes harnesses and bridles for use with horses. We've also bought very nice dog collars and leashes for our dogs. he will usually custom make something if you can't find it in his shop. He runs his shop out of his home (he has a small shop off of one of his barns), so you can see an actual Amish farm. He's located at 4415 County Road 114, Sugarcreek, Ohio. It's right off State Route 39, which is the main road that runs from Millersburg through Berlin, Walnut Creek and Sugar Creek.

9. Re: Need Advice..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 08:16