We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

columbus month of may

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
columbus month of may

I'm coming to Columbus from the UK from the beginning to roughly the end of May,any ideas of things to do and places to see

?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: columbus month of may

Following are a couple threads that discuss things to do in Ohio and surrounding states.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50226-i364-k41410…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60993-i402-k42845…

Top attractions in Ohio include the U.S. Air Force National Museum and the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park, both in Dayton; Cedar Point and the Lake Erie islands in Sandusky; Ohio Amish Country southwest of Canton; the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton; and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Columbus has one of the best zoos in the U.S. Cleveland is one of the nation's cultural centers with one of the world's best orchestras and one of the best art museums in the U.S.

Have fun in the Buckeye state!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: columbus month of may

good info--

I would add the Columbus zoo-- one of the best in the nation. Also, many people enjoy the Wilds, but I have not been there. The Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus is also pretty cool. Love the butterfly house there. If you are in Cincy or Cleveland, taking in one of the baseball games is loads of fun. Both beautiful parks.

Where are you basing yourself in Ohio?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: columbus month of may

And Hocking Hills-- also a popular and pretty section of Ohio

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: columbus month of may

Sorry-- I know that you are basing yourself in Columbus, but-- can you move around and stay the night other places?

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: columbus month of may

thanks for all the info I'm coming to visit my daughter who lives their now,we can travel around a bit but it's going to be a relaxing time I think,I like the idea of a baseball match and maybe ice hockey,neither of which is played here in the UK ,football is our thing here so it would be nice to see something different !!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: columbus month of may

The most American of sports is lacrosse, adapted from a game played by native Americans. You probably could view a high school tournament game somewhere in the Columbus area in May.

ohsla.org/Docs/…20FINAL.pdf

Huntington Park in Columbus is the home of the Columbus Clippers, the AAA affiliate of the major league Cleveland Indians. It's an excellent place to view your first baseball game. Minor league parks are much more intimate than major league parks, but keep your eyes on the baseball when it's in play. It's unlikely, but being hit by a batted or thrown baseball can be dangerous. Huntington Park also will host the Big Ten baseball championships in late May.

Ohio State University in Columbus is one of the nation's athletic powers and has excellent sporting venues. You also could catch a spring sport there, such as baseball or women's softball.

ohiostatebuckeyes.com/main/…

If you're a golf fan, the Jack Nicklaus Museum is located at Ohio State.

If you like rugby, you likely would enjoy the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Museum in Canton.

A new, somewhat different, and extremely entertaining sport is American football played in the constraints of an indoor arena. Cleveland has a pro team.

http://www.clevelandgladiators.com/schedule/season/?act[v]=list&frm[d]=2011-02-01&frm[e]=285

Here's The Ohio State events calendar site, with likely many things of interest regardless of your interests.

www.osu.edu/events/index2Day.php…

Have fun in Ohio!

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: columbus month of may

I think you have a lot of good choices listed above. As to Ohio State, many of the sporting events are free and the facilities are top notch.

You may also want to check out some of the different neighborhoods in Columbus - The Short North - lot of restaurants and galleries, German Village, The North Market, Arena District, etc.

If you like beer, there are numerous brew pubs that you can check out.

I highly recommend the Columbus Zoo - if it is a sunny day, there is no place better to walk around!

Enjoy your visit.

8. Re: columbus month of may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 14:17