We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Columbus to Washington DC

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
From Columbus to Washington DC

Many thanks to people who helped me with transport options from Pittsburgh to Coshocton. I'm now looking at options from Columbus.

A member suggested there may be Greyhound from Columbus to Coshocton. Hiring a car may also be good.

After visiting our relative in Coshocton, we would want to move on to DC and then to New York. Is Columbus a better starting point for this than Pittsburgh? Is rail travel a good option?

Ohio
Level Contributor
247 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

As I am sure you have found out, Ohio does not offer much in the way of public transportation. There is no train station in Columbus, so that option is out. Renting a car may be your best bet. I'm unfamiliar with Greyhound bus options but their website is: www.greyhound.com Given the choices of driving yourself and taking the bus, I would go for driving. Depending on where you are going in the DC area, it is only a 6-7 hour drive. I'm sure the bus takes much longer given all the stops it needs to make. Another option is flying. It's just under an hour and a half flight. US Airways is based at DCA airport (Regan National) and you can normally find non-stop tix for around $200. This is a huge time saver.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

Thank you YoungDubFan for your very helpful advice.

Krungsri

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

Another option besides Greyhound is Megabus from Columbus to Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C.

us.megabus.com/BusStops.aspx…

It would be cheaper than Greyhound but the connections might not be as good.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

Thank you, Transcendental Eye.

I don't think it stops at Coshocton though.

Driving to Coshocton from Columbus might be the way to go, and then drive back to Columbus or on to Pittsburgh to continue the journey to Washington DC by train or plane.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

From Columbus you can usually get a pretty cheap flight to Baltimore, once there it's a very easy bus ride to the metro line. You really don't need a car in DC so I would opt out of a rental car. Also you can always fly into Reagan and the metro line runs to the airport so again very simple. Have fun DC is great.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

Thank you. This is very interesting. I have just now checked out the Baltimore-DC connection by rail.

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

Agreed, if you go to DC, park your car at one of the metro parking spots and ride in. It's much easier to walk/metro/cab around DC. There is no place to park and if you find a spot, it's going to be $20-$50.

I would not go to Columbus to get to Pittsburgh from Coshocton. The drive on 36E to Uhrichsville, 250 S/E to Cadiz, then 22 E into Pitt is beautiful!About 2 -2.5 hours. Amtrak goes from Pitt to DC. You can use Greyhound from Zanesville or Cambridge to DC also.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

Thank you. I'll follow-up your suggestions about the drive.

I'll need to check, too the times the trains leave Pittsburgh and arrive in DC. It would be better to arrive around midday or in the afternoon for check-in to a hotel, I think. Early arrival could have us standing round in the lobby too early to check-in.

Edited: 21 August 2011, 00:36
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

Just a note on that early check in a lot of hotels will let you leave your luggage at their check until your room is available and you can head out and start seeing the sights. So arrive early and take advantage of a full day of visiting there is a lot to see!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Columbus to Washington DC

Thank you. Good to know.