We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

We are thinking of taking a road trip to Branson, MO from the Philadelphia, PA area in June. I like to check Trip Advisor before planning my trip as you have always given me good info. I have looked at the Starr Bus Tours itinerary and they stop in Cambridge, OH on Day 1 on the way to Westport, MO on Day 2. We would like to stop along the way in OH and see some sights. Is there a better location to stop and, if so, can you suggest some sightseeing and hotels?

Appreciate the info!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

What are your interests? Any kids -- ages, interests? When would the trip take place?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

you can make the drive in 2 days, actually. The mid point at roughly 8 hours would be Indianapolis. Your route would go directly thru Columbus. If you have kids, the Columbus zoo is one of the best in the nation.

Are you going with the Starr Bus Tour? or looking to drive yourself? Agreed that we need to know interested, kids. etc-- to give much help. And if you plan to stay and visit things? or simply stopping over for a night?

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

No kids and no Starr Bus Tour. I just look at the bus tours to get ideas for our own road trips. It is just my husband and myself - we usually drive 5-6 hours a day - even without kids we would like visiting the zoo - just cannot walk as much as we used to. We did want to stay a night or two and visit things in the area.

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

@TranscendentalEye: We are in our 60's and intended to travel the end of this month or the beginning of July. We do like sightseeing, some history and fairs or festivals.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

If you traveled late July, beginning of August, you could catch the Ohio State Fair in Columbus at the excellent Ohio Expo Center. It's one of the largest state fairs in the U.S. It has many opportunities to sit and watch concerts (e.g., check out "band & choir" at the links at the bottom of the page), magic shows, horse competitions, etc. It's a great value proposition and a memorable experience. Columbus also has one of the nation's best zoos.

www.ohiostatefair.com/index.php…

Columbus will host on July 3, its annual "Red, White & Boom" celebration, which includes one of the state's largest fireworks shows. Downtown reservations go quickly for this event.

http://www.redwhiteandboom.org/

As you like zoos, and don't like to walk, check out "The Wilds" near Zanesville. It offers a Jurassic Park-like tour one of the largest animal preservation centers in the U.S. It's best visited on a cool day, early in the morning or late in the day when the animals are more active. The open-air buses offer a better view of the animals, but obviously aren't air-conditioned. Consider visiting the mouth of the Big Muskie that carved the Wilds.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2184

You might be interested in the Longaberger Factory (world's largest basket) or Homestead, or the National Road/Zane Grey Museum near Zanesville.

visitzanesville.com/thingstodo/attractions

The Tecumseh Outdoor Drama in Chillicothe is another great summer experience in Ohio.

http://www.tecumsehdrama.com/

One of the most historic sites in the U.S. IMO is Huffman Prairie Flying Field in Dayton, part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park. There, in 1905, the Wright brothers after two years of daredevil experiments and great advances in nascent aeronautical science perfected the Wright Flyer III, the first airplane capable of reliably sustained, powered flight. The Wright Flyer III can be viewed at the very good Carillon Historical Park.

Dayton also is the home of the U.S Air Force National Museum, which is a magnificent museum even though there is no admission charge. Sign up for the Presidential/experimental aircraft tour immediately upon arrival; you need picture ID cards. See post 3 in the following thread.

tripadvisor.com/…36749204

tripadvisor.com/…30915752

…ohio.gov/divs/…Fairs_Schedule_Chrono.pdf

http://www.ofea.org/events.php

Good planning!

Edited: 04 June 2012, 18:11
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

Columbus will have you driving a little over 7 hours.

Columbus offers a greater selection of hotels and restaurants than Cambridge.

The Dublin area is close to the zoo, and only 10 minutes up I 270 around the west side from your direct route. There are many hotels and restaurants at the Route 161/33W exit off I-270 and you are 10 minutes from the zoo.

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at the corner of 161 and High Street in Dublin is a popular local attraction. Delicious and novel ice cream flavors are her specialty, voted best in nation in many polls.

Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

WOW! From the replies and descriptions, looks like we may never get to Branson. Hubby did want to go and stay a few days here and there - seems like we could just stay in the Ohio area.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,269 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

LOL yes, you could-- Columbus has the zoo (my favorite at my age, too)-- The Short North with it's galleries-- north of Columbus is Amish country. Southeast of Columbus is Hocking Hills-- Plenty of things to do on the weekend for we locals. And that doesn't touch Cleveland or Cincy and only touches on the places I happen to like in central Ohio. It is closer than Branson :)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

If you do decide to just explore Ohio, here's a link covering many destinations in northern Ohio, outside of Cleveland (check the Cleveland forum and "Things to Do" for Cleveland proper).

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

The Circleville Pumpkin Festival is a state favorite, but, of course, it's not until fall.

…wordpress.com/2010/…

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philadelphia, PA Road Trip to Branson, MO via Ohio

I ditto all of the above. Check out www.touring-ohio.com , it's a great website with a wealth of information!