We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
73 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

My husband has a business trip coming up and I'm thinking about going with him on this. We know nothing about Ohio, so now I'm wondering if there is anything to do in this area. We could stay for a weekend and both sightsee, and I could come early if there's anything to do nearby while hubby works.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

The Toledo Museum of Art is very good, with free admission and one of the world's best collections of glass artifacts in its Glass Pavilion. Toledo also has a good zoo.

There are many excellent birding sites in northwestern Ohio, such as the famed Magee Marsh, which also features an evolving wild beach (once a recreational beach).

Marblehead Lighthouse State Park features one of the best lighthouses on the Great Lakes.

The Lake Erie islands are a definite possibility for a day trip from Fostoria. There also are wineries in the lakeshore counties.

Here's a short guide to northern Ohio, exclusive of Cleveland (check Cleveland TA "Things to Do"). Note that Fostoria is closer to Mansfield and the Mohican Region (e.g., Malabar Farm State Park in Lucas) than to Cleveland, but that would still be a longer drive than exploring the attractions in Toledo and Sandusky counties.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Many, if not all, counties in Ohio has a visitor's bureau and there are likely attractions of appeal which are closer to Fostoria. You might search for visitors websites for Wood, Sandusky, Hancock, Seneca, Lucas, and Wyandot counties.

Good planning!

Edited: 19 June 2012, 18:59
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

BTW, I assumed you knew about Cedar Point.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
73 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

No :( Like I said, we know NOTHING about Ohio! I need to check out Cedar Point on google.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We do love visiting wineries and the lighthouse sounds interesting too. We love history and beautiful scenery, so it sounds like we might find both in that area :)

Thanks for all the links!

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
487 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

If you look on a map, Between Fostoria and Sandusky is Fremont, Clyde, Bellevue. You could stop at Fostoria Glass, Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center, Clyde Museum, Seneca Caverns, Sorrowful Mother Shrine, Historic Lyme Village, Mad River & NKP Railroad Museum, and once you arrive in Sandusky we have lots of things to do. I would go to the http://www.shoresandislands.com/ website. You will find everything you need there for Sandusky or e-mail me at jayme@ghostlymanor.com

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

Here is a winery thread that should prove helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g50940-i266-k38690…

Here are some Ohio forum search results for wineries:

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Assuming you also like cheese, you might want to check out the Cheese Haven in Port Clinton (if it's still open; its website appears to be dead).

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

I've made the drive between Sandusky and Fostoria very very frequently in my life. There's plenty to do within an hours drive of Fostoria (though there is also a LOT of corn and soybean fields to drive through). Search through these forums for info on the Sandusky area (Cedar Point amusement park, lot of indoor waterpark resorts, charter fishing, Lake Erie Islands, etc). The Hayes Presidential center in Fremont is a good one, I haven't been there in years. Lots of other good suggestions above as well. :-) Ghostly, do you know if Fostoria Glass still has a center/museum in Fostoria? I remember going to a glass museum when I was a kid, but I can't remember if it was in Fostoria or not, and I can't find anything on Google.

Skoeper, if you have any specific questions while searching the Ohio threads or Shores & Islands website, please feel free to ask. Happy travels!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

BTW, when will you be in northern Ohio? There may be some local events of special interest, especially during the July 4th weekend.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 16:10
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

Irish or Ghostly, has the Cheese Haven gone out of business?

Edited: 20 June 2012, 16:14
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

Not to my knowledge, but I haven't been to Port Cliton since last year. Ghostly?

Sandusky, OH
Destination Expert
for Sandusky
Level Contributor
487 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is there to do between Fostoria and Sandusky?

Yes Cheese Haven is open 7 days a week from 10 am to 7pm. If you go ask for the cheese curds. They are behind the counter. They are the very best!

http://www.cheesehaven.com/