We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Hello

We are visiting family in the US in September 2014, and intend to travel from Ann Arbor Michigan to Washington DC by car.

We would like to break our journey in South Eastern Ohio which we approximate to be about half way.

Please, can anyone recommend an interesting town to stay overnight and if at all possible a good hotel.

Many thanks

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Are you planning to take route 23 to Columbus and I-70 towards Washington?

If so, perhaps check out the Zanesville, Ohio, area. The next morning, you could take an open-air tour of The Wilds. The animals there are most active in the cool of the morning, especially on sunny days. Once you can see the weather forecast for the trip, if interested in The Wilds, perhaps buy your tickets in advance. Perhaps take a drive to see the "Y" bridge from a park above it or visit Tom's Ice Cream Bowl, to see a bit of America frozen in the 1950s.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4597

http://visitzanesville.com/Site/?page_id=5

Obviously, Columbus would offer many more attractions in the evening, such as German Village, or a walk around Ohio State University, one of the largest in the U.S., or the Short North. Perhaps attend a show at the unique Shadowbox.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

You could also check out Hocking Hills (Logan area). If you google Hocking Hills Ohio, I'm sure you have lots of things to look at. Have fun. Please let us know what you choose to do.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Hi karnilia,

I am interested in what route you will be taking and how far off your route you would be able to travel?

The above suggestions are great. Although this is just north of I-70, my suggestion would be Roscoe Village which is a historic canal town. There are some B&Bs near here and in Coshocoton. http://www.roscoevillage.com/

Here are hotels and B&Bs: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g50239-Coshocton_Ohio…

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Thank you both I am going to look into it

Many thanks

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Another option is to take I-80/I-76 towards Washington, DC. That would offer Cleveland, Ohio Amish Country, and Pittsburgh as overnight possibilities. Cleveland is an easy day's drive (six hours without stops) from Washington, DC. Ohio Amish Country and Pittsburgh would be closer. The Cleveland Museum of Art is one of the nation's best with an emphasis on Asian art not found in many U.S. museums; it has no admission charge to its general galleries, it's open late on Wednesdays and Fridays, and so it's good for short visits.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

Another option might be Dayton, 8 hours from Washington.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Yes Amish Country is awesome. Google amish country Ohio. Shawshank Redemption was filmed in Mansfield, Ohio. Could check out Mansfield reformatory. And don't forget Malabar Farms where Bogey and BeCall were married. The Malabar Farm Inn is a great place to eat.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Yes Amish Country is awesome. Google amish country Ohio. Shawshank Redemption was filmed in Mansfield, Ohio. Could check out Mansfield reformatory. And don't forget Malabar Farms where Bogey and BeCall were married. The Malabar Farm Inn is a great place to eat.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Malabar Farm, near Lucas, OH, actually has a hostel, if that would be an interest. It's easily reached from Ann Arbor using route 2, a nice drive (stop for Lake Erie perch or walleye at the Jolly Roger in Port Clinton; it's a freeway east of Port Clinton), Route 250 and I-71.

Malabar Farm is just west of Loudonville, "Gateway to Amish Country," and Walnut Creek, the heart of Ohio's Amish Country, is about an hour east of Lucas on scenic route 39.

See Mohican Region and Ohio Amish Country in the "Day Trips" travel article in post 5.

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
38 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

Thank you so much for your suggestions they all sound wonderful. We are intending to drive to Washington via Columbus.

We are going to check all these options and may come back to you with more questions.

Thanks once again.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight stay in South Eastern Ohio

If you end up in Columbus, seek out a Jeni's Ice Cream store. It's the top-rated artisan ice cream in the U.S. Graeter's also has stores in Columbus. It's French Pot ice cream is more classical, but also among the highest rated in the U.S.