We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

I J
San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

We're looking to do a trip in the Texas Panhandle (Palo Duro, Caprock Canyon) from Dallas. I saw that the Wichita Wildlife Refuge is not too far from the route we will be taking.

Is this place worth driving about 2.5 hr out of our way (roundtrip)? Is it pretty (we are looking to do some say hiking)? It looks beautiful, but I know very little about that area.

Also, we would be taking this trip in the winter. Is the refuge accessible during February? Are the roads ever blocked for snow?

Thank you!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

I live on the other side of the state so not sure, but checking with some friends. Maybe someone else?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
231 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

it's a nice area and shouldn't be blocked for snow. Good hiking there as well. I can't speak to whether it's worth it for you, but it really is a gorgeous place.

3. Re: Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:18