We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Route 66 In December

Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Travelling Route 66 In December

Hi All

Could anybody please tell me if it is worth driving route 66 from Oklahamo to New mexico in December, or ahould I look at other places to see in USA.

I would prefer to drive in Summer, but this is not an option.

All opinions please

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
United States
United States
North America
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Route 66 In December

Tell us a little more about your expectations, how long your vacation is, what dates in December, and your plan. It will help us give you better advice.

Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Route 66 In December

Thansk for response

Looking at leaving Oklahoma on 2nd Jan, will stay in Oklahoma City for NYE's and allowing myself about 9 or 10 days to do the drive and finish up in albuquerque NM

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Route 66 In December

Weather can be dicey around that time...sometimes snow and ice, but sometimes 70 and sunny. Not predictable. If the weather is nice, you could stay in downtown OKC called Bricktown and go to a Thunder NBA basketball game. They always have a game on NYE plus the city has a very nice celebration. We spent last NYE at the top of the Devon tower in their fab restaurant, Vast, after attending the Thunder game. We had a blast at both!

Driving from there on Route 66 could also be iffy, depending on the weather forecast in the higher elevations.

Where are you starting this Route 66 tour?

Mentioned in this post
Bricktown
Bricktown
2,136 Reviews
Oklahoma City, OK
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Route 66 In December

I'm an R66 buff and like to take my time and have done it both ways but you really can't spend that long for the stretch between OKC and ABQ. You'll run out of places to visit. Panhandle Tx can have iffy weather that time of year. It's the place the "dug out"was invented for good reasons. Try to stay at Blue Swallow motel in Tucumcari one of the best places to stay for R66 nostalgia.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
9 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Route 66 In December

OKC is a great place for NYE with several entertainment options. I would pay very close attention to the weather forecasting for your trip. This time of year can very unpredictable for traveling from OKC to ALB. especially through western Oklahoma and the North Texas panhandle.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
6. Re: Travelling Route 66 In December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:15