We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

Hi there, I find myself with a bit of time on my hands and am thinking of taking a last minute roadtrip around Oregon since I've never been. I'll be coming from SLC and traveling with a small dog so activities I can do with a pet are preferred. Thank you!

13 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
1. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

When? 4-5 days just in Oregon or including getting to Oregon and back to SLC? If just in Oregon, how are you entering the state: somewhere along the Columbia Gorge? On our eastern border? Or are you going somewhere else first? How many hours per day are you comfortable driving?

And, again, when. Seasons make a huge difference. And are there ANY places on your "must" list?

The Dalles, Oregon
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

It would help if you define exactly what part of Oregon you want to see. From SLC, it takes 12 hours of driving to reach Portland in good weather. If you go and the passes are snowy, add more to that. From now until April, you have to check the weather and road conditions.

Seeing a large portion of Oregon in 4-5 days is pretty difficult. I would say just stick mostly to one area. Here are probably your best options:

1) go to Central Oregon -- Bend, Redmond, Sunriver. Find a pet friendly hotel and see things in that area. It's kind of similar to Utah, though, with mountains and desert landscape. Still, it's beautiful with lots to do and it's your closest option.

2) go to Portland, which is a very dog-friendly town. Maybe check out some of the urban parks and check for places like the Lucky Labrador Brewery or similar places that encourages pet owners to bring leashed dogs.

3) go to the Oregon Coast. I would recommend Astoria/Seaside, Cannon Beach or Lincoln City. Lots to see and do, very different from Utah. The drive is going to be quite a bit longer, but you will have a more dramatic change in scenery.

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

Hi Oregonpoppa, I'd be leaving sometime next week. 4-5 days in Oregon, not including travel to/from SLC. I don't know how I'd be entering the state aside from the East since I'd probably cut through Idaho and approach from that direction rather than dip down to your Southern border. I am not planning on going anywhere else first. I am a machine when it comes to driving and have have driven 18 hours a day several days in a row.

Thank you!

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

Hi Chris, I have no idea what to see, there are no must-sees on my list since I know very little about Oregon. I have no expectations other than to go to a place I've never been and hopefully see some beautiful scenery. I'm a pretty easy and adaptable traveler. I'm glad to hear Portland is so dog friendly. That puts it at the top of my list. Thanks so much for your suggestions, I really appreciate it! :-)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
5. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

chris's suggestion of central Oregon has merit, especially since there's lots to see and it's all closer to you. Crossing the Cascades to get to the coast can be saved for a warmer time of year.

Not knowing where you'll be coming into the state, lets just draw a loop assuming you'll be entering Oregon via Ontario on the east.

Take 84 north to Baker City. Great Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, designed to reflect the experiences of those on the wagons...and you can still see and walk in the wagon ruts in front of the center. From there, go to Pendleton for another fine Oregon Trail Interpretive Center on the Umatilla Reservation. This one is designed to tell of the impact of the westward movement on the Native Americans. Also in Pendleton is a fascinating Underground Tour. The Pendleton Roundup is in September, but this is truly a cowboys and Indians town year round.

Then, south to Bend, which is well worth a day or two before heading back to Ontario, via John Day.

Lots to see along the route. It'll be a bit chilly, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding lodging.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
6. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

http://pendletonundergroundtours.org/

http://www.tamastslikt.org/

oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/09/20_r…

Weather and time permitting, I would also recommend a side trip to Enterprise and Joseph..

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

Great, I'll check those out. Thanks, Oregonpoppa!

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

Thanks so much, that sounds like a great plan. A bit chilly is no deterrent. I love traveling this time of year as long as the roads are kept clear.

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

Oops, double post.

Edited: 18 October 2017, 18:01
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,292 reviews
10. Re: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please

Great suggestions on this thread.

A traveler will consider the Oregon Coast.

Reply to: Suggested itinerary for 4-5 days please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted