We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in John Day?

Corvallis
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in John Day?

We are planning a long weekend in John Day in May. We live in Corvallis. I see there are a few hotels and a couple of B&Bs. Does anyone have an opinion about where is the nicest place in town? I'm not expecting a 4-star resort, but want something clean, not run-down, and pleasant for a relaxing getaway weekend. Thanks!

Barbara

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in John Day?

Hi Alifrey - We did an eastern oregon trip last fall and stayed a night in John Day at the Best Western John Day, 2 stars in AAA, typical BW comfortable, clean, it is right on Hwy 26, Main Street, it is a courtyard setting, noise was not a problem. You might check out the Kam Wah Chung Museum, good history on pioneer chinese history, allow a half to an hour, close to motel. The museum is actually an old cabin, interesting.

The John Day fossil beds and inerp center were fun if interested in archeology at all. Scenic short hikes available. Another interesting museum is the Oregon Trail Interp Center just east of Baker City.

You might check out Eastern Oregon area on the traveloregon.com site, searchable, wealth of information.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in John Day?

Finally I get to answer a question about John Day. We lived there for 5 years great place to live. And my work later to me back there fairly often.

I usually stayed at Sunset, but not sure it is still there, I knew owner from years we lived there. Later shifted to Dreamers Lodge, Last time stayed at BW, but I was traveling with others and one of them picked place.

BW probably a little fresher, Dreamers Lodge off main highway a block, which I liked, but as other poster said BW on US26 but still fairly quiet. Not a lot of night traffic in John Day. Though I would not take room near the street.

If I were going would go to Dreamers Lodge, just cause.

What are you doing in John Day? Other poster has some good ideas. if you are just sightseeing.

Strawberry Lake a nice short hike, though road to trailhead was not wonderful last time I went. And for sure drive to Prairie City to see the valley and the Strawberry Mountains along the way.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in John Day?

I would stay in the John Day Best Western-

I haven't been to the Dreamers Lodge-but I have been to the Sunset Inn last year and wouldn't recomend this place.

Don't know what happend to the Sunset- apparently it used to be where everyone stayed in JD when my work comrades were traveling through. Last time I stayed at the Sunset(about 1.5 years ago)- I just couldn't handle staying there any more- really showing its age and not very clean. So switched to the BW and it is much better.

Shouldn't be a worry-since you are traveling on the weekend. but it wouldn't hurt to make reservations if you are planning on staying at the BW. When I am there for work during the week the BW would almost always have the 'No vacancy' sign up in the evening since all the state/fed workers stay here.

Have fun in wonderful John Day!!! Also a great after dinner walk from the downtown area is up to the airport on the hill above town. Great views!! :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in John Day?

Chinook

Good update on Sunset. Not surprising. It was getting a bit worn when i stayed there, think that was reason i shifted to Dreamers Lodge. And my friend had sold the place.

Corvallis
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in John Day?

Thanks for all the tips! :-) I'll check out the BW and Dreamers Lodge. And we will definitely make reservations.

Reason for our trip: we have never been to that part of Oregon, so we need to remedy that. We are hikers and want to see the fossil beds, the Painted Hills and other natural areas. Also the Kam Wah Chung Museum. And I've heard that Picture Gorge is very pretty. Any additional suggestions for good hikes would be welcome.

Has anyone stayed at the Lazy River B&B? It looked quite nice on their website. Also the Sonshine B&B looks like it could be nice.

What about places to eat? Or are there so few that we won't have trouble deciding? LOL

Thanks again. Looking forward to more info.

Corvallis
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in John Day?

Just wanted to update everyone: we just got back from our trip to John Day and it was fabulous! I had no idea the scenery in the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness and at the National Monument would be so spectacular! I was really awestruck. The Blue Basin trail (about 3 miles) at the Sheep Rock unit is really incredible.

We stayed at Up the Lazy River B&B, and it was delightful. It is a two bedroom (but with only a bead curtain between), 1 bath cottage about a mile outside town with a deck right on the river. Breakfast is served on the deck--very picturesque. The cottage is comfortable, clean and attractive. The food was delicious and plentiful. Elaine, the owner, is very friendly and acommodating. I would definitely recommend it if you are heading out that way.

Barbara

7. Re: Best place to stay in John Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 16:17