We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

I am traveling back by myself from oversea. I will leave SFO and arrive in PDX at 4:45pm. I will have 2 suitcases and one small carry-on. I was going to catch a flight from PDX to Eugene but it’s about 6 hours layover. I think 6 hours wait for the plane will already take me back to Eugene by bus or train. I personally prefer to take train since by the time I travel it’s going to be cold and snowing. Just don’t really want to take the chance of being in a slippery road. But anyway....Amtrak Union Station is what I am aiming for right now. Do you think I can make it to the 6:05pm train? By Uber or MAX? By the way I am a 5”2 woman. I don’t really know what to do with the suitcases as well. I am opening to any suggestions. Thank you so much.

16 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

Is there a reason why you don't fly into Eugene ?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

I need to wait 6 hours for the flight to Eugene.

Edited: 18 November 2017, 18:33
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,868 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

I think Eddie is asking why you aren't flying directly from SF to Eugene.

There is a PDX to Eugene shuttle service, but I don't have info on it at hand right now. If the train is your preference and you're concerned about the time and luggage struggle with MAX, a taxi or uber would be your best bet.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,868 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

http://www.hutshuttle.com/

Here's one shuttle service

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

Here is a link for flights from SFO to Eugene. https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SFO;t=EUG;d=2017-12-09;r=2017-12-10

Troutdale, Oregon
Level Contributor
438 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

I agree with Oregonpoppa. The shuttle is very economical and something that recommended for college students in Eugene and Corvallis. However, I’m not sure if their scheduled runs will work for you. You would have to check into this.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

Sorry for my miss understanding. The flight from San Francisco to Eugene is about $600 vs $70 to Portland.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

Thanks. I had a feeling it was something like that but not that extreme.

Probably the best bet would be if there was a shuttle as Oregonpoppa pointed out. Otherwise there would be the Red Line of the Max light rail from the airport to the train station or bus depot.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

The Red Line doesn’t go to Union Station; you’d need to transfer to the Green Line at some point along the way. With your tight schedule, I wouldn’t look at MAX as an option. If this is on a weekday, Uber, Lyft, or a taxi could be iffy too at that time of day. I wouldn’t plan on anything you can’t be certain you’ll make, which might mean the 6 hour layover.

Did you know there’s now a small movie theater at PDX? Not to mention a handful of decent restaurants, a brewpub or two, and a distillery.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?

If you book the 6:05 train and miss it, there are two more Amtrak operated buses to Eugene each night (at ~7:00 pm and ~9:30 pm) you could take. It's very unlikely that snow will be a problem - last year there were more incidents of Amtrak lines being shut down to landslides on the tracks than snow interfering with Portland/Eugene buses.

I am fairly sure that Amtrak lets you change your ticket up until 10 minutes prior to departure with no penalty, so if you become sure you won't make it on the way you can call or make the change in their app. Certainly you don't want to use the Max with two large suitcases so plan to use Uber/Lyft.

That said, PDX certainly isn't the worst airport to have a 6 hour layover, but it is a frustratingly long wait for such a short little flight to Eugene. Have you looked at a possible SF-SEA-EUG route?

Another option might be a one way car rental but those tend to be needlessly expensive.

Reply to: What is the best way to go to Eugene from PDX?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted