We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington and north Oregon in the summer

Vancouver
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Washington and north Oregon in the summer

We plan 10 days round trip from Vancouver, BC to taste a bit from Washington and north Oregon. The trip is planned for late Aug, with a 3 years old boy.

Day 1:

Drive Vancouver to Seattle: arrive around noon; afternoon - Woodland Park Zoo; late lunch picnic; sleep in Seattle

Day 2:

Seattle downtown: morning in the Children's museum; lunch in the Space Needle restaurant; downtown shopping in the afternoon; rainforest cafe for dinner; sleep in Seattle

(may do the rainforest cafe in the first day instead)

Day 3:

Drive from Seattle to Cannon Beach; stop in Astoria for couple of hours; afternoon and night in Cannon Beach

(syrahgirl about Astoria: Astor Coumn; a drive up to Coxcomb Hill to see the gorgeous views from the top! There is also a riverfront trolley that runs along the Columbia River. Cannery Cafe, the Wet Dog Cafe and the Ship Inn are all good places for meals on the trolley run.)

Day 4:

Beach day in Cannon Beach: enjoy the shops, restuarants and beach; sleep in Cannon Beach

Day 5:

Drive south on the coast line: three capes route, some hiking and scenary + Tillamook for the cheese factory and Blue Heron for wine testing and petting zoo; sleep in Tillamook (Shilo Inn?)

(According to Den's suggestion:

head west out of Tillamook towards Cape Lookout State Park. Once you get out of Tillamook, you'll take the road to the right towards Bayocean. From Bayocean you simply head south. There are great vistas along the entire route and a few quaint little towns. The DO NOT MISS: Cape Meares Lighthouse and Park; the town of Oceanside; Cape Lookout State Park; The trail from the top of the cape to the end; Pacific City; Cape Kiwanda.

According to Tyr52:

stops at Cape Meares State Park, a nice paved trail to a lighthouse with beautiful ocean vistas along the trail, a gentle slope with benches, the trail is fenced along the cliff front for safety. The beach at Oceanside is very pretty with the 3 Arch Rocks national wildlife preserve, birds, seals and sea lions, just off the shore. Rosanne's in Oceanside is a great lunch stop with good ocean views)

Day 6:

Drive through road 6 (The Wilson River Hwy) to Portland; afternoon - Washington Park in Portland including the Japanese gardens - sleep in Portland

Day 7:

Colubia George: drive the old scenic highway, stop in waterfalls and view points - lunch or dinner in Multnomah Falls Lodge; sleep in Portland

Day 8:

St. Helens. Sleep in Ashford (or somewhere in the area) - outside Mount Rainier East

Day 9:

Mt. Rainier; sleep in Ashford again (same hotel as day 8)

Day 10:

Drive back (still haven't decided where to stop on the way back. any ideas? I would like something fun for my son, since it is a long day of driving)

How does it sound? any ideas or suggestions?

should I add another day (after day 7) for Mount Hood and the Fruit Loop in the Hood Fruit County?http://www.hoodriverfruitloop.com/index.html

(I was trying whenever possible to stay at the same hotel for more than one night)

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington and north Oregon in the summer

It sounds like a good itinerary! My only suggestion would be to just stay in Cannon Beach that 3rd night, rather than moving to Tillamook. The 3 Capes loop is very do-able as a day trip from Cannon Beach.

Level Contributor
35,452 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington and north Oregon in the summer

Sounds like a great trip! While you are in Astoria, there is a park your little may enjoy called Tapiola Park on Denver & Marine Drive. It was built the summer of 2005 by voluteers in the community. There is a Dairy Queen right across the street where you can take him for ice cream afterwards. Have fun! :)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington and north Oregon in the summer

You might consider a change in Day 7. Instead of returning to Portland, go as far east as you wish, definitely see the parks, the falls, Bonneville Dam and its fish hatchery, etc. But, return on the WA side of the Columbia; very different views, parks and feeling.

Then, still east of Vancouver, you could head north on I-205 toward Mt. St. Helens, and avoid Portland/Vancouver traffic, and be that much closer to our local volcano.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington and north Oregon in the summer

Overall, it looks good. A few comments...skip lunch at the Space Needle. Not worth it...overpriced and better food elsewhere. Definitely go up the needle though, but eat elsewhere. As far as Mt. Hood goes...I would add it. Go to Timberline Lodge, have lunch or dinner, and spend some time playing in the snow. Even in August there is snow behind the lodge.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington and north Oregon in the summer

Another option; drivng from Cannon Beach visitng the creamery and taking the 3 Capes route and returning to CB in one day is doable and it is certainingly nice to stay two nights in the same motel but it will make for a very long day with really no time to do all the activities mentioned, however stayting the night in Tillamook I have to admit is not too exciting. Perhaps spend a noight at the House on the Hill Motel in Oceanside, great views or at the Inn at Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City? Pacific City is the southern terminus of the 3 Capes Route, the Inn is owned by the same folks who own the Pelican Pub brewery and eatery on the beach. The ales are award winning and the food is good quality, think 2 stars with AAA.

The follwing day you could drive to Portland on Hwy 6 and stop at the Tillamook Forest Center just past milepost 21. Interesting exhibits about forestry and ecosystems. Enjoy your visit. http://tillamookforestcenter.org

Pacific City, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington and north Oregon in the summer

My suggestion is to not stay in Tillamook. Especially in the summer Tillamook smells like cow manure and besides the cheese factory there is nothing there. It would be much better to go just a little bit south/west. Definitely do the 3 capes scenic drive. The lighthouse at Cape Meares & Octopus tree are beautiful and the hike at Cape Lookout is fantastic. Last time we were up in that area we stayed at a great place called the Sandlake Country Inn which is right on the scenic route and very near Pacific City. It's a B&B, but instead of sitting around a breakfast table in the morning (not the way I like to start my day) they deliver breakfast to your door so you get a lot of privacy www.sandlakecountryinn.com . Another option is the Inn at Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City, but it's pretty pricy, noisy (right on the main street) and they are doing construction across the street. www.innatcapekiwanda.com If you do go to Pacific City try the Grateful Bread restaurant. Not on the ocean, but great food at good prices.

7. Re: Washington and north Oregon in the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 11:19