We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Hi, my family will drive down to Oregon coast line from Seattle. We will stay one night at Newport and continue on 101 to Florenece (sand dune area) and turn back from I-5 through Portland.

Would you please recommend the must see stops for us? Due to time constraint, we might not be able to do too much hike but wouldn't mind to have some if time allow.

Also, any dinner recommendation at Newport? We are a family of 4 with a 6 years old and a 9 years old.

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Some of the best views on the central coast are in the area of Cape Perpetua, just south of Yachats. If you have time, drive to the lookout at the top (it takes about 10 minutes). It's worth it. Also the viewpoint just south of Heceta Head Lightouse (after the tunnel) will give the best views of the most photographed lighthouse on the west coast.

Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Thanks for the suggestions. I sure will stop by those two places. How about the 3 capes scenic drive? Should I stop by those 3 capes?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

When are you doing this trip? If it's mid-week, I'd recommend stopping at Ecola St. Park just north of Cannon Beach rather than Three Capes, which takes you quite a ways off 101. Ecola has some great views, and even a short hike into Indian Beach if you've got the time. But on weekends, particularly during the summer and holidays, the park's jammed. If you end up doing Three Capes, don't miss Cape Meares St. Park.

Since you mentioned hiking, another nice short one is out Cascade Head, six miles north of Lincoln City. The trail head is right on hwy 101, but if you drive west a few miles into Cascade Head Ranch, you can pick it up there. The view from the head is one of my favorites on the coast.

For dinner in Newport, I'm sure your kids would like the original Mo's, down on the waterfront. Food isn't the best, but the restaurant is very family oriented, and an institution on the Oregon coast.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Are you going Seattle to Newport in one day?? If so Three Capes may be a bit much. specially Cape Meares, road is not real good.

You did not say where you plane to hit Coast. I would get at least as far south as Kelso to Astoria. Not much to see on 101 in wash.

Astoria to Lincoln City is 110 miles, but it can be slow in summer, counting no scenic stops maybe 3 hours. A lot of that drive is inland from ocean.

Lincoln City to Newport suggested stops. Depoe Bay (maybe see a whale), Cape Foulweather viewpoint just below top along 101, Otter Rock and Devils Punch Bowl, Yaquina Head and Lookout.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Thank you all for the suggestions. We will be there during weekdays (5/24 - 5/25). Since we will arrive Seattle just the day before the Oregon trip from Texas, I bet we can start our trip early due to two hours of time difference. :-) Based on your suggestions, I think I should skip the 3 capes to save some time.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

I 2nd the orginal Mo's in Newport. A good family place :)

Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport is also good if you can spare the time.

Also nice hikes at Washbourne St Park can also hike to Heceta Head Lighthouse-but might be a bit far for the little ones-depending on their ability. Even if you don't go all the way-some nice walks in the trees.

Also think about Honeyman State Park south of Florence. Lots of dunes for the kids to explore.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Any dinner recommendation for Portland?

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Dinner in Portland...

Henrys Tavern might be good with the children, huge booths, large portions of very good food and for the grown-ups, 100 beers to choose from :)

Where will you be staying in Portland?

If you need a recommendation, I would suggest the Inn at Northrup Station..they have a fridge in the rooms/suites and are very family friendly.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

If you like Vietnamese food, Miso Happy on NW 23rd is great for families and very well priced..

I don't eat out with children anymore (poor me ) and I am blank on somewhere that you can all be happy.

Hope this helps though :)

Scarlett

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Henrys Tavern

www.henrystavern.com/index.cfm…

I thought of a pizza place you might all like..

Hot Lips Pizza on Johnson and NW 10th.

http://www.hotlipspizza.com/

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon coast line viewpoints?

Second the Heceta Head, Cape Perpetua, Ecola, and Cascade Head recommendations. Three Capes is great but road is rough and curvey, the others sites above will give you a good taste of the coast it in a more time efficent manner. However if your driving through Tiilamook be sure to stop at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and get an ice cream cone, they have the best ice cream this side of Vermont. Second the suggestion of the Newport Aquarium, great exhibits depicting the coastal marine ecosystems. A goggle search under their name should get the website. Enjoy your trip to Oregon.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States