We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September trip need some advice

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
79 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
September trip need some advice

We are planning a "first" trip to Oregon in September. Starting the 1st by arriving Portland and departing on the 11th. We have a beach home we stumbled onto and don't know if it is a good location for what we want to do.

Thought we would start in Portland for 3 days to do the Columbia Gorge etc.

Thought then we would do this beach home that is in Seal Rock for 5 days. We like that it is on the beach and quiet (catch up on reading, movies, long walkds) but had hoped to do some wine country. Is it too far to day trip into wine country? Should we stay at the beach home 3 days then move "inlet".

I have read some other posts and there are some very helpful "Oregon" experts. I would love your input so that we get the best out of our vacation.

thanks!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September trip need some advice

Seal Rock is actually a really nice area although I can't say I have spent much time there. It seems that people from Portland rarely venture further south of Newport so you will have a nice quiet area to explore, most likely.

Seal Rock is between Newport and Yachats (pronounced ya hots).

I love the Oregon Coast but if you want to explore the wine country I would do it from Portland.

Are you flying into Portland and renting a car? If so, head south Hwy 99 and hit a few wineries on your way to Seal Rock, spend 3-4 nights there and hit a few more wineries on your way back to Portland. Just don't overindulge as the drive is not a short one.

The wine country is definitely more accessible from Portland.

When in Seal Rock I recommend visiting the Newport Aquarium. It is a very nice one!!

From Portland you can drive out to The Gorge. Start early and take the scenic hwy and stop at some waterfalls along the way. If you time this during the weekday the traffic and crowds will be lighter. Stop for lunch in hood River and then wind your way around Mt. Hood, maybe even staying the night at Timberline Lodge for a nice little get-away. It is a beautiful lodge and you can do some amazing hikes from up there, particularly the Paradise Park Trail.

Sept. is a great time of year to be here! The weather is usually very nice although you can also encounter some rain.

Enjoy and let us know if you have more questions!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September trip need some advice

Good advice from PDXwindjammer. It is HWY 99W you want...not 99E. And while some people do wine tasting trips for the day from the coast, it is highly not recommended. This is my usual warning, lol, so bear with me:) There is a very high police presence in this area. I live on the edge of this area and drive 99W several times a week. I cannot tell you how many people are pulled over for either speeding (the limit changed often, from 25 to 55 and back down), or for drunk driving. And honestly, I don't care to share the roads with anyone who is tasting and does not have a designated driver. I know some people do this, and get away with it, but as a local it really is frustrating to want to go about my day to day business and worry about getting taken out by someone not thinking. Ok, that is my rant:)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September trip need some advice

You don't say who we is? Any kids??

Seal Rock?? I could easy spend 5 days there. Though with limited days here 3 might be better.

In my view you can use three full days. One day to go south to Florence and Dunes along one of greatest coastlines in country. Than a day or more for Newport, and with luck you can get a low tide at Seal Rock to se the tide pools. and walk the beach.

Day trip to wine country not worth it to me. Best to spend part of day on way to Seal Rock or going back to PDX to do that. even then, not what I would do. Then I am not wine country type.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: September trip need some advice

As if you need any more information to make a decision........ Portland to the heart of wine country is 45 minutes. Seal Rock to the heart of wine country is probably 2 hours and 45 minutes. Definitely, do wine country from Portland. But I don't know if I'd change your plans. You can do wine country, the Columbia River Gorge, and whatever else in 3 days, still leaving you 5 for the coast. Portland is a nice city and all, but aside from the Gorge, Powell's Books, there's little to distinguish it from most other cities. But the coast....... As phirl says, it's a one of a kind deal.

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
79 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September trip need some advice

Great suggestions. It is hard to know how much "time" is between places even with a map so the details have been great. Thanks for the clarification.... My husband and I were really attracted to the idea of spending time on the coast. What about the northern coast area? Should we allow some time say for Astoria/ Cannon Beach. When planning, I always plan as if we will be here just once - and consider it a treat if we get to plan to come again. We are from Iowa so I suppose that is why the coast is an attraction to us.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September trip need some advice

There have been some great informative posts on this forum recently for Canon Beach and Astoria. Perofrm a search for Astoria and Canon Beach within this forum, there is a lot of info. Glad your coming, hope you have a great trip.

7. Re: September trip need some advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2007, 17:47
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September trip need some advice

As much as I hate to say it being a central coast person, you really should go north, if you think this may be only time here. Astoria is a great town, best on coast to visit it has a lot of history, Newport a close second.

Cannon Beach nice strollable town. Seaside has huge beach. Stop at cheese factory in Tillamook . 101 is off the ocean for much of drive north. but you can get to it at Pacific City, Rockaway and Manzanita. Manzanita may be best

Consider Mt St Helens on way back to Portland, better than a second wine country stop. though it can take much of a day.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: September trip need some advice

Seal Rock is in one of the most scenic stretches of the Oregon coast - my opinion - and there's lots to do and see around there to keep you busy for 4 - 5 days. So, I disagree with syrahgirl's absolute "yes" to the north coast.

On the other hand, if you don't mind packing up and moving, there's interesting Lewis & Clark history around Astoria. And scenery around Cannon Beach, particularly Ecola and Oswald West State Parks, is tough to beat too. If you do decide to head north, realize that Astoria is not really on the coast, so you won't have a beach experience there. Hmmmm..... decisions, decisions.

Does the 10 days "in the area" count the 4 of drive time, syrahgirl?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September trip need some advice

mistletoe, in my count, according to numerous posts, from Sat til Fri does not add up to 10 days.