We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer vacation to OR

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
Summer vacation to OR

My husband and I are driving to OR in June for vacation. We'll be there about two weeks, and then on down the coast as far as Santa Rosa. I could use a little help with suggestions for "must sees," especially on a motorcycle. I used to live in Eugene, but am only familiar with the Willamette Valley and southern/central coast. My husband has never even been to the West Coast.

He retires next year so I'm hoping that experiencing this wonderful state will help him realize that we should retire there (my obvious goal). I've got a good friend that lives in Corvallis, which we will be using as a "home base." We're trailering the motorcycle, and plan on seeing most of the state on the bike.

So, not only are we planning on enjoying ourselves, but we're also looking at various areas for possible retirement. Although he will be retired, I'll still be working for quite some time. I'm a licensed massage therapist, so am looking at more "touristy" type areas where I can work in a spa. We're going to check out Newport and Astoria, but any other suggestions?

Also, I've never been to Astoria, but from my research, it looks very appealing. Any suggestions for specific restaurants (especially vegetarian), things not to miss, etc. since we'll be there at least a few days. And, we were planning on splurging and staying at the Cannery Pier Hotel...any feedback on that hotel? We also plan on camping some of the time as well in the state parks.

We're really looking forward to this trip. Any feedback would be much appreciated. And, just wanted to share that you folks that already live there are so lucky...I miss the beauty and people every day!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,825 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer vacation to OR

Wow, what a fun trip this sounds like!!

For a minute I thought you were doing the entire trip by motorcycle and I was horrified lol..

I can't help much but will keep this at the top for the locals to help you..

Personally, Astoria is nice but I think Cannon Beach or one of those pretty communities south of Astoria and Seaside would be more agreeable.

Maybe Newport..Dengay and phirl and mistletoe and Mtngrl and those who live here in Or will have lots of good ideas for you..nothing like the locals for directing you..they helped me countless times.

Remember that during the winter, a large portion of the businesses in these beach towns close for the season, and it can be quiet and stormy.

Massage therapists seem to do well in Portland, in town. Our friend is one and his office is on NW 23rd and he is quite successful.

Good good luck, I hope you get your wish and get to move to Oregon, it is indeed , a very beautiful state.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer vacation to OR

Sounds like fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B4 I post my standard "blurb" about the Oregon Coast, I havea couple of additonal comments.

1) I have not stayed at the Cannery, but the location is GREAT!. If you want the same experience but to spend a bit less, the Holiday Inn Express is just east of the Cannery and is VERY nice as well.

2) Make sure you travel the coast north to south, especially on a bike. The winds, always from the NW, can blow quite hard and you'll want them at you back. Plus, all the really great sites are on the west side of the highway.

Okay, here goes with my standard blurb on the coast:

"DISCLAIMER: You are about to be referred to several sites that are Oregon State Parks. For more information on the parks I am about to mention, visit www.oregonstateparks.org

Astoria/Warrenton: Lots to do and see here, especially as it relates to Oregon and National History. Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens State Park, and the Columbia Maritime Museum are just a few. If you are staying o/n, I hightly recommend The Holiday Inn Express on Hwy 30 at the foot of Bond Street (west Astoria).

Cannon Beach: Ecola State Park and Haystack Rock are two of the biggest draws here and should not be missed.

Oswald West State Park: On Hwy 101, 11 miles south of Cannon Beach. You have to get out and walk to really appreciate what "Os West" has too offer, buit after a 1/3 mile walk into a beautiful rainforest, you will get your just reward! The Most beautiful spot on the Oregon Coast IMHO! Just south of the main developed areas of the park, Hwy 101 crosses over Neah-Kah-Nie Mountain. AT THE VERY LEAST, stop and take in the views from one of the many pullouts. If you're up for it, a three mile hike to the top of the mountain will certainly be a highlight of your trip.

Three Capes Scenic Route and Cape Meares and Cape Lookout State Parks, southwest of Tillamook. Beautiful drive, especially north to south. Visit Cape Meares Lighthouse.

(I'll let phirl and others fill in the Lincoln City-Newport section).

Yachats. Spend a little time here. It's a small town but it really is a gem. Right on a rocky bluff built out into the ocean. If fact, I hightly recommend staying here. The Overleaf consistently sits at the top of Oregon's ranking for motels. If it too much for your budget, there are several others: The Fireside, next door to the Overleaf; The Adobe just a little further south; The Shamrock Lodgettes just south of the river. Aside from being charming and beautiful, it's also centrally located to Newport and Florence. Just south of here is Cape Perpetua with arguably the best tide pools on the coast. They also have a wonderful visitor's center and lots of hiking. If you like fish-n-chips, Try Leroy's Blue Whale on Hwy 101 or for more "fancy" fare, The Drift Inn just south of Leroy's.

Heceta Head Lighthouse State Scenic Viewpoint, between Florence and Yachats. Considered the most photographed lighthouse on the entire west coast, you'll see why!! There is a B&B in the Historic Keeper's House as well.

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (ODNRA) stretches from Florence, 42 miles to Coos Bay. Sand dunes are not normally associated with beauty, after all, they're just sand dunes. But these are truly beautiful. I hightly recommend taking some time to view. Take a buggy ride or rent a quad if your up for it!"

Hope this helps!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer vacation to OR

Oh, and HI Scarlett!!

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer vacation to OR

Are you planning to see and travel mostly the coast or other areas of the state, as well?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
177 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer vacation to OR

I could argue that the several resorts around Bend could offer the spa jobs you seek...

...and there's some tension in Bend regarding newcomers, so it's a qualified recommendation.

Since Bend is east of the Cascades, it's a completely different climate. It shouldn't be a problem biking there come June.

You might also check out the Columbia River Gorge. I seem to recall a couple resorts out that way, though what I remember is on the Washington side. Most people recommend a drive through the Gorge to Hood River, then south on Oregon 35 to near Government Camp around Mount Hood, then back via US 26 to Portland. That's certainly a worthy trip.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer vacation to OR

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for your input thus far. And yes, we are planning on doing the entire coast plus a good bit of the state. My husband and I figured that if we check out lots of different areas, surely some special place will really resonate with us. As I said, I've lived in Eugene (back in late 80's), but have visited only the lower half of the state and coast from Lincoln City southward. I did visit my friends in Corvallis and down in Humboldt County, CA last fall, and being back in the Pacific Northwest made me realize how much I've truly missed this area...it's just so perfect! Although Arkansas is really beautiful, and this area of the state is progressive, the heat, humidity and bugs really get to me!

I had heard that Bend is really special, so will check it out. And, have never been further east than Multnomah Falls (sp?) on the Gorge, so we'll be checking out that entire region.

Thanks again.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer vacation to OR

I drove the Columbia Gorge Monday and Wednesday as I traveled to and from a meeting in NE Oregon (Enterprise). It's a special place alright, but I fell in love with LaGrande, Enterprise and Joseph.

8. Re: Summer vacation to OR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:20