We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campgrounds Columbia River Gorge

california
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Campgrounds Columbia River Gorge

We will be just about ready to set up camp for the night by the time we reach Portland on our way to Glacier via Spokane in mid-July. We had planned to get a campsite at Ainsworth State Park, but I am wondering if any one has other suggestion in case it is full or is too overloaded with big rig RVs. We are humble car campers looking for someplace scenic and peaceful. A 3 mile or so hike nearby would be a bonus.

Any other must see or do on our way to Spokane the next day?

Thanks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campgrounds Columbia River Gorge

Forest Service has 2 or 3 cgs in Gorge, Eagle Creek is one. They are small. Here is note about them from FS.

Eagle Creek, Wyeth and Herman Creek do not accept reservations; however they generally have open sites except on holiday weekends (Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day). Arriving any weekday, especially before 3 PM, you will generally find a site!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campgrounds Columbia River Gorge

Memaloose and Viento are two other State Park options

www.oregonstateparks.org

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campgrounds Columbia River Gorge

I wouldn't recommend staying at Viento unless you think you can sleep through the sound of trains barreling through at all hours of the night as well the disorienting effect the train's horn can have on one. Also, it's right off of the interstate, so when there are no trains coming by, there cars and trucks. They charge $2 per shower, too, which I found tbe ridiculous.

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campgrounds Columbia River Gorge

Not in the gorge, but kind of around the corner, is Metro's Oxbow Regional Park.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campgrounds Columbia River Gorge

Hmmm, since this thread is over a year old, I hope the OP had a nice trip :-)

6. Re: Campgrounds Columbia River Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 09:18