We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept or Oct

Mckinney, TX
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sept or Oct

Is the weather better in Sept or Oct in Oregon?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept or Oct

Depends on what part of the State you are in.

Sept is a better bet for Portland and probably the coast, probably less chance of rain..

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept or Oct

If you have an easy option I would pick Sept, but if for some reason you have to go in Oct should be ok though I would not wait til late Oct.

If you plan much in mountins Sept is better

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept or Oct

If you want to see the deciduous trees in color, I'd go for Oct.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept or Oct

We had a fantastic time in september. But weather went from hot (eastern Oregon), cool (coast), lovely (Portland) to snow (Crater Lake).

Tet

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
757 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sept or Oct

The Fall is one of the best times in this area. It is rare to get a lot of rain. It is usually warm and sunny- but cool at night. If you will be in central oregon it can get COLD at night. We were out there in September two years ago and had snow at east lake and flurries in sunriver. The farther in to the season you go the more chance of rain- though rarely heavy or an all day event.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sept or Oct

As others have said, it depends quite a bit on just where you are planning to go in Oregon. Along the coast, September is usually lovely. October is also usually very nice, although the later you wait, the greater is the chance of rain.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sept or Oct

Be warned: as someone who was, in 1981, the worst goalkeeper in Portland, I know all too much about the subject.

Do note: having gone to school in Eugene, there isn't much difference, so you know the Willamette Valley from Portland to Eugene is pretty much the same weather pattern.

(NOTE: As a Duck, one of the football game mantras has been "It never rains at Autzen Stadium"... because it didn't for several years. Just giving you the range of possibilities.)

First half of September: could be one warning shot of rain, but usually a few hot days and a few warm days. Having a game in 90-degree heat is not my cup of tea.

Second half of September: no more scorching heat, maybe a sprinkle or two, things do cool off, everyone starts talking about packing in for the winter, forgetting...

First half of October: Indian Summer. [Kicks self for not having availed self of it for a few years now. Wonderful time of year IMO, even if broken up by a little mist.]

October 16-23: flip a coin; either mild and not threatening, or a slightly wayward set of rain showers.

After that, you get at minimum a perpetual mist, sometimes broken up by substantial showers, and/or maybe a Pacific fastball of a storm every 20 years.

Oregon
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sept or Oct

I would always suggest Septemeber for visiting the NW. The weather is historically the best. October won't be bad, either. Let's say Sept is the best month for an outdoor wedding in the NW. You figure it out. :-) But it really does matter what you want to do and/or see while here.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sept or Oct

September is almost always sunny and warm. October trades off - some years it too is sunny and warm. Other years, it turns way rainy. September, hands down.

10. Re: Sept or Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 10:20