We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Interesting for teens: Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens,etc.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Most Interesting for teens: Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens,etc.

We'll be staying in Manzanita 4 l/2 days the end of July. Depending on how early we leave we'll have about 7 hours on August 1st that we can do some sightseeing before we need to be at the Portland Airport. To avoid almost a 2-hour round trip drive to Astoria on a different day, I'm wondering if we should visit Astoria on our way to the airport or if we'd be too rushed. We'll have kids 14, 17 and 20 with us. The Maritime Museum, Astoria Column and the Flavel House all sound interesting to me but I don't know how much time to allow and what our kids would like best. There are also Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens and Fort Vancouver and Cape Disappointment (both in Washington) that might be worth a stop. Your advice on what to see that last day, how to time things and, especially feedback on the forts will be appreciated.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Interesting for teens: Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens,etc.

If you figure 1 hour from Manzanita to Astoria, and another 2.5 from there to PDX, you're left with 3.5 to plan. So, because it's a 1 hour roundtrip from Astoria, I'd nix Cape Disappointment, unless that's all you wanted to do Even then, it'd be a little tight.

Did you ask the kids? My 20 and 15 year-olds would have little interest in Ft. Clatsop or any of the museums and historical buildings in Astoria. But they do enjoy exploring the WWII bunkers at Ft. Stevens and climbing the Astor Column. If you do end up at Ft. Stevens, you might drive out to the south jetty, just to say you've seen the mouth of the Columbia. Pass on the wreck of the Peter Iredale though. When we stopped by this past weekend, it appeared of little interest to most adults, let alone teenagers.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Interesting for teens: Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens,etc.

Agree with mistletoe, do Fort Stevens, drive out from there to the south jetty, then climb the Astor Column--climbing to the top should be easy for your teens and it just takes a few minutes. Fort Vancouver is just across the river from Portland, but there really isn't a whole lot to see there. Suggest skipping that.

Fort Clapsop is a reconstruction of the Lewis and Clark winter encampment, interesting for grade school age and younger children, or folks really interested in the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Interesting for teens: Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens,etc.

Think they would also enjoy Battery Russel(aka WW!! bunkers) at Fort Stevens. lots of underground low lit rooms/maze to explore. Its kinda 'scary' all concrete and rusted out metal, etc This area also the only spot in the lower 48 bombed by Japanese in WW11. They talk about that somewhere...

Also might be interested for like 2 minutes of Peter iredale shipwreck at FT Stevens SP.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Interesting for teens: Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens,etc.

I agree, I agree, I agree. :-)

Level Contributor
37,214 posts
956 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Interesting for teens: Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens,etc.

Fort Clatsop is very interesting and educational, especially if you're into American History. I would schedule 1-2 hours here depending on how long you want to stay. If you stay an additional hour, you can watch a rifle demonstration and view the movie in the theater there. You can also take the scenic walk down to the canoe landing which is cool.

The Flavel House can be done in less than an hour, I would schedule a couple of hours for the Maritime Museum, depending on how long you want to stay here. There is a move in the River Theater and also the Lightship Columbia that is docked in front of the museum which is included with your admission price to the museum. The gift shop here also lots of fun things to take back home. Have fun! :)

6. Re: Most Interesting for teens: Fort Clatsop, Fort Stevens,etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 19:16