We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

searching for lodging in the Columbia River Gorge area

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
searching for lodging in the Columbia River Gorge area

I've been searching for a place to stay for two nights in mid Sept. while touring the Columbia River Gorge area. Our first choice was the Mcmenamin Edgefield, but that is booked, and at the Best Western Hood River we can can only find a room for one night.

I would appreciate any suggestions, Thanks!

Wildwood Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Secrets Of Portlandia Free Walking Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Level Contributor
36,626 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: searching for lodging in the Columbia River Gorge area

The Columbia Gorge Hotel is very nice, it is a historic hotel on gorgeous grounds. They serve a Farm Country breakfast that is very extensive, they have a website if you're interested. Have fun! :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: searching for lodging in the Columbia River Gorge area

If you're looking for something that's not very expensive, the Vagabond next to the Columbia Gorge Hotel is nothing fancy but the price is right!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: searching for lodging in the Columbia River Gorge area

Two places that I would recommend are Bridal Veil Lodge, which is right on the old historic highway, and then nearby in Corbett is the View Point Inn. Both would be great places to base yourself.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: searching for lodging in the Columbia River Gorge area

We statyed at the Vagabond and would never recommend it to anyone unless they could absolutely not afford anything else. Motel 6 is head and shoulders above this place. The bath was tiny with a little shower, linen was threadbare. In the morning the free coffee was a large 48 cup maker full of hot water, they give you a styro cup and a packet of instant.

The view of the Columbia River from the gounds was very nice. Have you considered a B and B. Usually they have very nice breakfasts and the hosts are knowledgable about the area. If you go to the Hood River section, under hotels there are 11 B&B's listed. Al though we live in Oregon we bought a Frommer's Oregon guide for a recent trip to Eastern Oreegon and found it very helpful. Enoy your trip.

Pacific City, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: searching for lodging in the Columbia River Gorge area

I would suggesting trying a bed and breakfast. A great website to try is the Oregon Bed and Breakfast Guild www.obbg.org I know there are a lot of them in that area. I have stayed at both the Mt. Hood Hamlet and Old Parkdale Inn. I would recommend staying at both of these places. The Old Parkdale Inn is a little less expensive than the Hamlet.

In the past couple of years we have decided to stay at a bed and breakfast whenever possible. You get so much more for your money and the ones listed in the Bed and Breakfast Guild have all been inspected and approved. When you stay at a bed and breakfast you not only get a great place to stay, but also the innkeepers give you all the local attractions and places you would never find on your own.

6. Re: searching for lodging in the Columbia River Gorge area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 10:17