We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Going to Ashland September 7th through 10th, thinking of driving east on Hwy 38 and 138 to Sutherlin. Have not been on this road before, scenic? Any intersting must sees. Plan to visit the Heceta Head lighthouse and stop by Honeyman State park for picnic lunch.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Very scenic through the Umpqua valley area- used to live in Roseburg and this is the way we'd get to the beach up north. Try Tomeselli's in Elkton for some mid-way treats. Don't miss Dean Creek elk viewing area just east of Reedsport. A few river boat ramp/parks along the road, but don't know if any of them would be 'must sees'.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Thank you chinookgrrrrl for the Dean elk viewing idea, I've seen plenty of elk but wife enjoys it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Yes, this is a very nice drive and the road is good. We have elk in our pastures all the time, but we still enjoy stopping at Dean Creek and looking at them!

Lighthouse hours are 11:00 am to 5:00 pm. Have a nice journey.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Just drove from Florence to Roseburg and back Saturday. I LOVE the drive, especially in the summer and especially the first part of hwy 138. The Umpqua River is very beautiful. FYI, it'll take about 1 hr 45 minutes From Honeyman to Roseburg.

One word of caution. If you are driving hwy 138 at night, there are more deer than I've ever encountered on any other road in Oregon. I saw 3 on the 24 mile drive from Sutherlin to Elkton Saturday night, which of course means there were at least twice that many.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Thanks for the ideas, 38 and 138 it will be. Looking forward to visiting Honeyman, will visit the historic store, good to have the time estimate from Honeyman to Roseburg. BW says she will be ready to hit the road at 8 am so we should be out of Nehalem by 0900, LOL. I'm hoping to be at Honeyman by 2 or 2:30 including Heceta Head stop, sound reasonable?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

No problem. It's just less than 150 miles from Nehalem to Florence. I'm usually able to make the drive straight through in 3.5 hrs. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

The Honeyman Lodge (store) closed for the season yesterday. The day use area is open, but you will not be able to enter the building or buy anything there :-( If you are going to do a lighhouse tour, it takes ~15 minutes to walk up the trail. Depending on how many people are there, you could wait 20 minutes or more for a tour. Due to structural concerns, we've reduced the size of the tours down to 4 people so the wait is longer than it used to be :-(

BTW, I'm heading to Nehalem on the 7th for a long weekend :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Dengay, thanks for the update about Heceta Head. I was going to wander down there one of these days after the crowds thin, so will plan accordingly.

Are you familiar with a trail that goes up the hill north of the lighthouse, so I could get a photograh of the top of the lighthouse looking south, with the beach/water in the background? Or is this the trail from the parking area?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

half-Brit,

The trail you are referring to begins just before the first oil house at the lighthouse. Just take the trail to the lighthouse and you'll not be able to miss it.

After you take pix of the lighthouse, if you're up to it, continue on about 1/2 mile up the hill and you will be rewarded with a fantastic view of Washburne beach and Cape Perpetua to the north. :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Thanks!

Irvine
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hwy. 38; Reedsport to Sutherlin

Yopu might check out Loon Lake jsut outside of Reedsport. We have stayed at Loon Lake Lodge & Rv Resort http://www.loonlakerv.com and have two shi tzus and have found it to be very pet friendly. You will often see deer and other animals walking around the property which the kids will love. Not too far away is the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area loonlakerv.com/dean-creek-elk-viewing.html.

It is one of the more scenic RV resorts on the Oregon Coast and especially great if you are into the outdoors or watersports. They have jet ski, fishing, sport, and pontoon boat rentals loonlakerv.com/oregon-boat-jet-ski-rentals.h… Our family spent the afternoon each day on the waverunners and had a blast.