We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

Sweden
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

I'm planning a trip from Sweden to the US in May 08 with my family (husband and two kids, 4 and 1½). I'm SO excited already and keep planning and planning. :)

What do you think, is this a realistic plan?

Day 1. Arrive in Seattle in the afternoon. Stay at an airport hotel.

Day 2. Rent a car and drive down to Astoria (thinking abot staying at the Cannery Pier Hotel).

Day 3. Stops at Cannon Beach, Tillamook, etc. Maybe staying the night in Pacific City?

Day 4. Drive to Newport (maybe staying over night at Agate Beach). Oregon Coast Aquarium.

Day 5. A longer drive from Newport to Sunriver where we're staying with friends.

***Does anyone know of any good stops along way to Sunriver? We all need to get out of the car a few times during this drive.

Day 6. Sunriver

Day 7. Sunriver

Day 8. Drive from Sunriver to Multnomah Falls, and then to Portland.

Day 9. Portland

Day 10. Drive from Portland to Seattle, to catch a flight to Honolulu in the afternoon. Maybe stop at Mt St Helens on the way to Seattle?

We're staying with friends in Hawaii for 9 days before we fly back to Seattle, make a stop at another friend's house for a couple of days before we go back to Sweden again.

Anyway, my question is really if our Oregon plan seems to be OK so far?

Stops along the way from Newport to Sunriver?

Things to do/see in Portland with smaller children?

Is Pacific City a good place to stay in?

Questions questions... I'm looking forward to this trip so much!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

Your trip sounds busy, and fun!

For the Newport to Sunriver drive - you could stop in Corvallis and Sisters to do a little walking and sightseeing. Oregon State University is located in Corvallis if you enjoy that type of thing. Sisters has many small shops and has an old Western feel to it if you like to shop. The drive over Hwy 20 is beautiful and there are many places to stop and take a little walk along the river (look for campgrounds). It's a quick side trip to Sahalie Falls off Hwy 20 as well. (From Hwy 20 take Hwy 126 for about 5.3 miles south of junction. Turnoff for Sahalie Falls is well-signed.)

Portland is great with kids. OMSI, the Zoo, the Children's Museum, and many great parks all over town. My kids love to go to sporting events at PGE Park (pro baseball and soccer) but it might not be the right time of year.

I like Pacific City, nice central location with a couple of stores and not as crowded as some other towns on the coast. I have stayed there with my family a couple times.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

Sweden
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

Thanks fiveforfun! :)

Corvallis and Sisters sounds like great places to stop!

I'm hope our trip will be both fun and busy, but not TOO busy though... Maybe we should try to stay a couple of nights at the same hotel along the coast instead of switching hotels every day? I don't know...

Maybe it's a bit too much to try to see Mt St Helens on the way back to Seattle? I've looked around a little and it sounds like it's a full day thing to do....?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

Ordinarily, I'd recommend parking yourselves at one beach location for a couple nights. But May is usually more sightseeing than beach weather - though you might get lucky - so I think your plan to move every day is okay. On the other hand, Surfsand Resort in Cannon Beach has a nice indoor pool.....

If you don't mind a bit of a detour, I think your kids would enjoy a visit to the fish hatchery near Camp Sherman, about 12 miles before you get to Sisters. The hatchery is about 8 miles off the highway, in a beautiful setting on the Metolius River. Even my 15 year old enjoys watching the trout make the water "boil" when she throws in the fish food.

What time is your flight out of SEA? The drive direct from Portland is about 3 hours; figure an hour or so each way for the detour to and from St. Helens. Plus the time you'd want to spend up there.....

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

Hello, hennapenna ~ Your holiday sounds well planned and should be quite wonderful! As far as staying in Pacific City, I might opt for staying a bit farther north, perhaps Manzanita (for a quiet, small town) or Rockaway Beach (for a big, long open beach). The reason is that there is a lot to see in the Astoria/Cannon Beach areas ... and the drive from Pacific City to Newport is only about an hour.

Newport has many many hotels; in Agate Beach the nicest I think is the Tyee Lodge. Is that what you were thinking of? Newport also has two lighthouses, both open for tours, the Marine Science Center operated by the university, old town with barking sea lions on the dock (the children should love that!), bay tours, and so on.

The drive from Newport to Sunriver is about 5-6 hours, as I recall, so you may only want to make quick stops to walkabout a bit. There is a state park about 12 miles east of the town of Sweet Home with a .75 mile trail to a waterfall -- that might be perfect. Sisters looks sort of similar to an "old west" town and is also a good stop.

Whilst in Sunriver, be sure to walk the Lava Tube at Newberry Volcanic Monument; it is great fun!

If you could squeeze in Mt St Helens, it would be well worth it.

You also *might* think about driving south awhile instead of staying at an airport hotel, so as to be closer to Oregon and your next stop. I realize you may be jet-lagged (ugh), but you drive on the right at home, yes? Just a thought.

Sweden
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

Thank you for your answers mistletoe and half-Brit! :)

Our flight from Seattle to Honolulu is around 5 pm, so I guess it could be possible to see Mt St Helens as well. Maybe we'll just leae that option open and see what we feel like doing at the time.

I've never heard of Manzanita, I'll have to look it up on a map. But I think it might be a good idea to stay a bit farther north than Pacific City.

Is it really a 5-6 hour drive between Newport and Sunriver? Hmm...maybe we should think about staying a night at a hotel somewhere on the way? I will have to think about that.

Our flight from Sweden arrives in Seattle around 5 pm, and going through immigrations etc usually takes a while. And concidering the time difference (9 hours) we'll be pretty tired. If we had arrived earlier in the day I would definitely have rented a car right away to drive south. But I think we might stay at an airport hotel this time...

Still lots to think about! :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

The plan looks okay but I have a few suggested modifications. I don't have kids but I have plenty of friends and family members who do and I know it takes a long time to get out of the house/hotel each time you move.

Although I love Astoria you may just want to head out of Seattle early enough to make it to Astoria for lunch, ride the fun trolley along the water, walk around town a bit and then head further south and plant yourself for 2-3 nights in the smae place. Manzanita is beautiful so that might be the perect place to stop for 2 nights.

From Manzanita you could head south to Newport and visit the aquarium. I love that aquarium and it will be a hit with your young ones! Stay on Nye Beach in Newport or on the bay.

Sounds like you are going to have a nice rest in Hawaii after a whirlwind trip through Oregon!

Enjoy your trip!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

It's only about 200 miles, so it should only be 3.5 - 4 hours from Newport to Sunriver.

You'll want to be at SEA around 3:00pm for the flight to HNL. Hmmm...... are you sure you want to risk Hawaii for St Helen's? ;-)

I agree with comments about Astoria. If it's a nice day, your 4 year old would probably enjoy sailing balsa-wood airplanes from the top of the Astor Column, but if it's raining, I'd suggest moving on to Cannon Beach, or maybe even Seaside, with its carnival like atmosphere (though there's less of that in May).

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

hennapenna -

My family lives in Bend. When we go to the coast we drive there in one day, usually with a longer lunch or dinner break when we reach the valley (I-5). We have even left after work and arrived late in the evening, so I wouldn't recommend the extra night somewhere halfway.

It is a very pretty drive over the Coast range and the Cascades with plenty of places to stop and stretch for a break. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

Yeah, I know mistletoe it *should* be only 3.5 to 4 hours, but it's just a tick under 2 hours to get from Newport to I-5 in Tangent. A tick over if it's trafficky that day along Hwy 20. Then from I-5 to Sunriver, it actually seems to take about 2.75 hours, plus a few minutes for one pit stop, and you're at five hours. That's driving about 60 when the road is kind enough for it.

Hennapenna, I would agree with fiveforfun that it really doesn't justify an overnight stop, though. People here do that kind of drive all the time without even thinking about it. (Here on the coast, we're used to driving at least two hours just to get *anywhere*!)

10. Re: Seattle- Newport- Sunriver -Portland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 20:17