We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

My best wishes, especially to those away and to those who await their return...

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Voyaging--Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I made the cranberry sauce early, and baked the pie early (premade, so just had to bake it), and then we all got our workouts in. The turkey got put in the oven after that and now everyone is hovering in the kitchen enjoying the aroma.

In between cooking, I am doing laundry and packing too, lol! I leave tomorrow for Seattle for a week.

So voyaging, you might run into me!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I spent four hours today actually working....I did, in four hours, what normally takes eight since most of my buyers were off. Whew, now I can take a three day weekend, rather than having to go out and write accounts on Friday.

I'm doing game hens, so they are about ready to go into the slow cooker. I was lazy this year and let New Seasons do most of the prep work. ;-) I will be baking a pie and making sparkling granita.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

PDX--Hens sound good! I needed wine for the turkey, so just opened a bottle early and had a glass, lol! Tried a new one...the Methven Pinot Gris. I know some of the family, so was curious to try it. I like it:) Too bad I can't have more than a glass til later...otherwise DH will be picking me up off the floor, lol!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

My SO wears the apron that says: "I cook with wine - and sometimes I use it in the recipe."

The wine flows, the family started arriving, Dallas is wiping out the Jets, my three teams (Boston) are flying high, and Mtngirl and her DH are coming to sunny, if cold, Seattle. Can it get better than this?

Yes, it can, I want duck or properly cured venison instead of turkey.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

voyaging--I love duck, but not venison so much. Bad flashbacks to my dad making venison sausage I think, lol! BTW, I am leaving DH and the kids behind. This is a girlfriend trip. We are coming for the marathon, and to househunt for her. We both used to live up there, but she is headed back. So it should be a fun week. Then I come home for one night, then our family heads back up for a wedding.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Happy Thanksgving to all especially the TA forum posters, yeh! Speaking of those serving near and far our local Kiwanis Club raised the funds to send Christmas packages to all the service men and woman from our county. A Marine Captain from our local area spoke to our group Wednesday and mentioned how thankful all of the troops are to receive a letter or card from anyone from home appreciative of their sacrifice.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Tyr52...that is GREAT! Not doubt, the service men and women really appreciate words and items from home.

Mtngirl, I am with you....duck YES!...venison.....not so much. ;-) I have had it, it's okay, but given the choice, the duck wins. ;-)

My sparkling granita turned out great. Soooo easy. 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water...bring to a boil, cool. Add one bottle of sparkling wine (in my case, I used Cristalino Brut Rose. Pour into a shallow dish and put into the freezer. Stir with a fork periodically to break up the ice crytals. I served this in mini martini glasses with thin slices of green apple. I put the martini glass on a salad sized plate and served a small salad with romaine, frizee' and stilton.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Mtngrl, my SO and her girlfriends rented a B&B near La Conner, on Samish Island, for a weekend. Had a nice time, Arts Alive in La Conner, wildlife watching, and, oh, a little wine. I know the owner will let them return - this time. Suspect they are a little more "senior" than you and your buddies, but having a nice time is about friends not age.

Have fun.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Hello everyone! We just got back from our Thanksgiving in Portland. Our normal travel time of about 3 hours stretched into nearly 5 to get to Jantzen Beach. Umm, we hadn't thought about all the traffic :-(

We had turkey day dinner at Salty's on the Columbia, and were seated at a corner window seat with an awesome view. Oh my heavens, the amount of food! We are so blessed individually and as a nation to have such abundance. It was outstanding -- eveything we tried was delicious and fresh .... and they kept bringing more so we felt we couldn't disappoint them and not eat just a little more of, er, everything .... :-))

Then Friday we went into the city for the ♪ Singing Christmas Tree ♫ ! It was a lovely presentation, with a nice blend of humour and spiritual message, and a bit of audience participation thrown in. Not being "pageant watchers", we had never seen Katie Harmon; what a lovely young lady with an incredible voice. I would recommend it to everyone, as it was extremely enjoyable!

After the show, we opted not to stay in town, as we figured that the crowds would be swelling for the tree lighting ceremony (we were right, according to the evening news). So went back to the RV park to let dogger out, then drove up to Vancouver to Gustov's for a pretty good German dinner.

After a quick stop at Barnes and Noble this morning (okay, I never make a "quick" stop there, lol!), headed on home to avoid the bulk of the traffic on Sunday. See, we do learn from our mistakes... sometimes :-)

What a nice thread start, voyaging. I had duck at Gustov's! I'd go for venison too, as long as it's properly cured, that is.

Tyr52, you're in Tillamook county, aren't you? What a thoughtful gesture for all your service men & women.

PDX, I admit I had no idea what a sparkling granite was ... but that sounds really intriging. I think I'll try it sometime.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

10. Re: Happy Thanksgiving!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 20:17