We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is This Possible?

West Haven...
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is This Possible?

We started off just wanting to go to Portland for a couple of days, and then spend a few days on the beach. Now that I've spent several hours on the internet (LOL), I want to do two days in Portland, a day driving the River Gorge/Mt.Hood loop (returning to Portland to sleep), and then going to Cannon Beach for a day. Now here's where it gets tricky (and I get greedy): I also want to see Crater Lake, and I've fallen in love with the Tu Tu Tun Lodge, and if I can get a room, I want to spend a couple of days in Gold Beach as well. And of course, return to Portland for my outbound flight. This trip would be in July of next year. What do you all think? Is this North-to-South-to-North stretch too much? If not, what routes do you advise? Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is This Possible?

Am confused regarding how many days you want to spend in Oregon. All the things you mentioned would require more than a week to do right.

On your days in Portland you can easily to day trips on the Mt. Hood Loop (with lunch at Timberline Lodge) one day and Mt. St. Helens on another. Of course, that doesn't leave you much time for sightseeing in Portland itself. So, let's say you spend at least 3-4 days using Portland as your base of operations.

You want to spend a few days on the beach, but Cannon Beach and Gold Beach are a long way apart, with lots and lots to see inbetween. Another 2-3 days (including time just strolling the gorgeous Oregon coastline).

In Gold Beach, you're going to want to take a jet boat up the Rogue...that's a full day. It can be arranged in a package deal with the Tu Tu Tun (which is very, very upscale and pricey, but you already know that).

And, then, Crater Lake is a good day's journey there and back to Medford or Grants Pass (unless y ou stay at Crater Lake Lodge), which are on I-5 for your straight run back to Portland.

I count about 10-12 days all in all. The routing is pretty straight forward if you have the time.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is This Possible?

How many days do you have in all?

You do realize that Tu Tu Tun Lodge is not *at* the beach, right?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is This Possible?

Given your other postings, including interest in gardening, yoga and counterculture, you might consider OR, though it's a long ways from Connecticut and Nova Scotia.

West Haven...
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is This Possible?

Thanks, all--we have 10 days total, including two travel days. Realistically, the flights to/from JFK will be nearly all-day affairs. OP, that's very helpful! HB, yes, we know that Tu Tu Tun is not on the beach, but it looks very peaceful and comfortable. It's our twenty-fifth anniversary, so a couple of nights there will be our big splash--if we can get a room--I haven't called about availability yet! Voyaging, yes--my interest was initially piqued because my cousin lives just ouside of Portland, and was telling me how many "urban farms" there are in the city, and how many of the residents are very much into growing their own veggies, etc. He said many of them even have chickens in their back yards! I was intrigued, and wanted to check it out. Then the itinerary just grew and grew!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is This Possible?

mercuria....oh please do not come to Portland thinking that most of us have chickens in our yards!!! He had to be pulling your leg!

Portland is a major city with over 2 million people in the tri-county area. While there are "farms" nearby, we do not all have farm animals. :-)

Your itinerary sounds very ambitious. Please remember the west coast states are LARGE! You are coming from a small state. We are BIG. I can take 7 hours to get from one end to the other, if not longer.

I think that you either need to stay in Portland and do day trips the entire time, OR, venture off to other areas and spend at least two nights in each area.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is This Possible?

What, PDX, you don't have farm animals in your yard, lol?

Okay, mercuria, how about this idea for a rough itinerary: fly to Portland on day one, spend two days there, one day in the gorge, that's four total. Then drive straight down I-5 and up to Crater Lake, about 5 hours or so. If you got there early-ish, you could tour around that afternoon. That's day five. Day six, morning see the rest of Crater Lake, then drive to Gold Beach, about 3.5 hours I think.

Nights of day six and seven at Gold Beach, leave morning of day eight. Go north on Hwy 101 along the coast, stopping for one more night somewhere, then continue toward Portland, getting back in the general area for the night of day nine, then home on day 10.

I think you'll have to skip Cannon Beach, but you can see quite a bit of other beaches this way.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is This Possible?

LOL, half-Brit, alas, I only have zoo animals in my yard ;-)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is This Possible?

No chickens, but for the past several years wild turkeys have taken up residency in our neighborhood in Eugene. We live in the SE hills and have deer, raccoons, squirrels and an occasional bobcat. No chickens, though.

Half-Brit...don't you live in bear country...around Florence...where they had to shoot one ornery guy last week? I go hiking on the dunes south of Florence a few times a year and we always see bear tracks in the sand. On one hike we came back the same way we went in and found bear tracks on top of the tracks we left coming in. But never saw the bear. I always found it amazing to think there were bears between 101 and the surf. I always thought of them being up in the mountains.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is This Possible?

Oregonpoppa, you said: "We live in the SE hills and have raccoons, and an occasional bobcat. No chickens, though."

Gosh, with those animals, I wonder why no chickens. LOL

We have the same animals (w/o the chickens, but with coyotes) in the wooded areas around us, sometimes wandering across streets and golf course. And, through the neighborhoods. Though we are a part of the noxious footprint, we feel badly about the diminishing space for wildlife here in the Seattle area.

West Haven...
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is This Possible?

Thanks, Half-Brit! That's another good option! If we can squeeze in another day, maybe we can get to Cannon Beach, as well! We'll see.

I spoke to afore-mentioned cousin, and he stands firm on the chickens, says there's even an annual tour of backyard chicken set-ups, the Tour de Coops (?). Of course, poultry is not my main reason for wanting to see Portland! I think it has more to do with the whole "green" consciousness/attitude that the city supposedly has.

Can you believe that we had a black bear here in gritty, post-industrial West Haven Connecticut last year? It had found it's way down from relatively-leafy Woodbridge or Orange, and was nosing around in trash cans on a downtown street! It was removed to a more bear-comfortable neighborhood, as I recall.