We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Weather, Indoor Pools, General Insanity

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Weather, Indoor Pools, General Insanity

I have a QUICK request... anyone heard a forecast for the weekend? Specifically, there's a storm forecast to spread over Oregon Saturday, which seems like something I could beat by traveling halfway (or so) from Boise to Portland on Friday.

Caveat: I have my daughter, I already mentioned the possibility of a room and an indoor pool Friday night; getting out of that commitment won't be easy. I figure the pools close down early enough that Pendleton won't be as handy as I'd like, since I probably wouldn't make it there until 9 pm. Anyone know if there are any 24-hour pools along 84?

Another option: at some point, I'd drop by some friends in Eugene. One option I've considered is to reach Burns (or, if VERY lucky, Bend), and head straight to Eugene. Therefore, I don't just need to know about the Blue Mountains and the Columbia Basin, but Central Oregon as well... and I'd have to get up VERY early to get out of Burns if I want to avoid problems over Santiam Pass.

My hunch is to stay with the freeway, but any and all advice will be accepted.

Mount Hood
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Volcanoes
Timberline
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Weather, Indoor Pools, General Insanity

A couple years ago we pulled into Pendleton very late. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and the pool was still open. So you might check into that.

As far as the roads in general, yes, this weekend is to be kind of messy. As long as you keep chains with you, you should be fine though.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Weather, Indoor Pools, General Insanity

Yeah- the weather forecast for Saturday isn't that great. Sounds like *good* weather on Friday(forecaster mentioned that Friday is the time to head em up and move em out) but Saturday afternoon/evening not great.

Don't know about the pools in the Pendelton area- I have stayed at the Best Western in Pendleton for work and I think there was a pool there-not sure about hours. If you could make it to Pendleton on Friday- i think then you'd be ok.

Would stick with I-84 if possilble- there are two mountain passes(Drinkwater Pass and Stinkwater Pass~4800 ft) between Vale and Burns on Hwy 20 and I'm pretty sure they would not get the maintanece that I-84 gets. Not sure if you've been that way before, but there isn't much out there and if you run into trouble could be worse than I-84-hardly any cell phone coverage, etc.

BTW- my co-worker two weeks ago traveled thru the Blue Mountains and it took him 1 hour to get that 6mile grade from the top of Cabbage Hill(start of the downhill) down to Pendelton-going 4mph. He said that was 1mph too fast!! :) He was impressed with the truckers-even with chains-there was no grip and they were in a controlled slide al the way down the hill!!!

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Weather, Indoor Pools, General Insanity

Now I realized that my story might not be the best thing to hear right now!! Sorry- didn't mean to scare you-but I think you've made the trip over the hill before..?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Weather, Indoor Pools, General Insanity

You can look on TripCheck.com and get the latest road conditions in Oregon + forecasts. Right now, it looks like the snow level will be down to 1500-2000 ft in the Cascades tonight through tomorrow with more than a foot of snow expected. So, you can count on chains being required over Santiam and Willamette Passes. Good news for the Hoodoo and Willamette skiers, but not so good for motorists trying to get between Bend and Eugene. Friday, there's supposed to be a break in the weather...but it all is expected to fall apart again over the weekend.

It isn't clear to me where your destination is...Portland or Eugene. Either one, I'd go 84 to Portland and then down I-5 to Eugene...and miss all the mountain passes altogether.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Weather, Indoor Pools, General Insanity

Thank you.

I've done 84 way too much by now (I'd love for the Pioneer to be reinstated at this point). I've even traveled US 20 and its passes several times. I have a general idea of what happens this time of year, which includes some built-in distrust for weather.com. 'Tis why I asked you.

Main target is Portland (or Canby, really). I need to make Eugene at some point before Christmas, though I did have my heart set on a Saturday night visit there. I'll live if I wait until Monday for Eugene.

6. Re: Weekend Weather, Indoor Pools, General Insanity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 20:19