We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

Our son is getting married in Dallas Oregon summer of 2009 and several family and friends are coming from the east coast (like on the ocean) and midwestern states.

I'm guilty of being competitive. I want a drop dead gorgeous areas to stay knowing we have a wedding to attend on a Thursday at a vineyard in or around Dallas. Need to try to be closer to Dallas rather than further away comparatively speaking.

Looked up timeshare and saw Otter Rock, Lincoln City, Newport, and Seaside. I was kind of thinking of getting a couple of places and having family/friends stay in close proximity. Sounds like some people will make a weeks vacation out of it. Also I have a rather serious chronic illness so spending time with them would really be great. I may be needing lots of rest so beauty close by helps.

Where is the most scenic area with the most impressive greenery (forest/trees) and ocean close together?

If we have to stay inland some, what is our next best choice?

We need room for everyone and since they will be paying for high air fare (coast to coast)they won't want to spend luxury prices. I am going to see about timeshare but I know there may be rentals that could accommodate the group. But right now I need to know WHAT AREA to begin looking.

My sincere appreciation. Mother of the groom.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

I would not stay in Newport or Seaside as they are much too far away to be convenient.

Neskowin is a little slice of paradise with no hotels or much in the way of commercial development. Cascade Head is nearby as is Cape Kiwanda, both beautiful places.

Lincoln City is much more developed but would be convenient to Dallas. Neskowin is just 15 minutes to the north.

I would recommend getting a nice house or two. We usually rent from:

http://www.oregoncoast.com/greyfox/.

They have some beautiful homes that they manage.

Enjoy!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

IMO, there is no nicer place to stay along the entire coast that the Overleaf Lodge and Spa in Yachats. Look at the reviews here on TA and trust me on this one, if you want to impress someone, the Overleaf is the place.

It's located on arguably the most beautiful piece of real estate on the coast, with Cape Perpetua and the vast Pacific litteraly right at your door step.

The only drawback for your situation is that it is a bit further from Dallas than either Lincoln City or Newport. The quickest way to get to Dallas from Yachats would most likely be to take hwy 20 from Newport (25 minutes north of Yachats)to Corvallis, then get on hwy 99 W and head north. It would take about 1.5 hrs (I'm guessing here as I have not driven this exact route).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

I was in Pacific City the other day and the Kiwanda Cottages were having an open house. They're getting desperate because no one in their right mind would pay $115,000 +$4,000/yr in co-op fees for 1/13 of a condo. But I must admit, they were pretty much the nicest places I've ever seen on the coast. They rent them for approx. $450/night.

kiwandacottages doot coom

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

While I don't disagree with dengay that Yachats is a lovely place to stay, I think it may be too far away. DH goes to Dallas from Waldport once a month and it consistently takes him 1.75 to 2 hours, driving "something" over 60, lol! He's tried all three ways: 101-18-22; 101-20-99; 101-20-223, the last is actually the fastest.

Neskowin is tiny, mostly residential, very quiet. From Dallas it's about 1 hour. *However* - in the summer, on a Friday, the traffic heading westbound on Hwy 18 toward Lincoln City is very very heavy, and on a three day weekend can be excrutiating, so that may factor in to your choice.

Of the four places you mentioned, Otter Rock is the only one that is "restful". The Inn at Otter Crest has a gorgeous location, right on the cliff, no beach. It looks just like the website photo, honestly. It is an older complex - we stayed there one night about 15 years ago and felt that the rooms were a bit dated then. But it has probably been refurbished since then! It's about 1.25 hours from Dallas.

Inland? Hmmm, Yamhill/Carlton area is pleasant and I think Silverton is quite pretty.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

I agree that Otter Rock would be the best choice-as far as scenery- that you suggest.

I am always partial to the Silverton area-it is pretty nice-but on the east side of the valley whereas Dallas is on the west side of the valley- I think it would be about 1hr away. Depending on your idea of accomidations and ammenities you could book group lodging at the Silver Falls Conference Center, at Silver Falls State Park- I've often thought this would be a great place for my own family reunion...

www.silverfallsconference.com/overnight.htm

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

If you stay at the Inn at Otter Crest, ask for top floor rooms. Staying anywhere there with a room above you will mean lots of walking thuds.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

Here's another place in Neskowin:

www.rentoregoncoast.com/index.php

I've never stayed there but it looks nice.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

I poked my head into the Chelan in Neskowin a couple weeks ago, half-Brit. Some people might complain that the furniture looks like a commercial for Smith's Home Furnishings from 1982.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

My sincere appreciation for all your ideas. Now I will need to look into each of them and see what I can find out. I was trying to use RCI/Shell Vacation Club points to stay somewhere nice. The cities listed were the cities they had resorts in so that is why I listed them.

However, with all the increase in exchange fees and such, I plan to explore the options you suggest. Sometimes if the place is big enough sharing the expenses would be worth it and I wouldn't be giving up my timeshare points for other people. However that is the very reason why I did get into timeshare.

I am not opposed to staying on the coast even two hours away if I have a lovely place. I could just stay overnight at a hotel near Dallas on Thursday to avoid the long drive back after the wedding if need be. However thinking about it I may need to be there for a rehearsal dinner/practice on Wed. but who knows how that will go. All I have to do is be walked down the aisle. I think I can handle that without a practice. LOL

Again thanks for all the advice. Once I look all this up, I'll probably post again and ask specific questions. I hope you will be kind enough to answer the new detailed questions. I know this is 1 1/2 years away but coastal hotels/resorts/cottages can probably be booked a year ahead.

I'm off to explore each and every suggestion.I love trip advisor. I don't know what I would do without it and without your suggestions. How did they do it back in the day? (that is meant to be rhetorical.) Thanks!!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding in Dallas June 2009, best place to stay on coast?

Oregone, that's funny! LOL!

All the rooms at the Chelan are different as they are condos with different owners. I have stayed in a couple of units and they were both fantastic. I stay there almost every year in April for my birthday.

I wouldn't call it luxury but it is plenty comfortable and the view can't be beat!