We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day between Mcminville and Bend

VT
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
One day between Mcminville and Bend

We have one day/night open between wine country and Bend in April. Is that enough time to go up to the gorge, or should we just spend an extra night in wine country and hike silver falls area and see the flowers in bloom?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,732 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

I would do the gorge. It is an easy day trip from our wine country, only about 45 minutes away. Silver Falls is nice too, but the gorge gets my vote.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

I would do Silver Falls. But only because recreation dot gov shows multiple vacancies for yurts and cabins at Silver Falls State Park for April. I love staying in those things, especially when it's cold outside because you can really crank the heat. Plus it would be a lot less driving since Silver Falls connects with 22 at Sublimity, giving you a straight shot to Bend.

Level Contributor
34,226 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

I've never been to Silver Falls, it sounds really pretty! The Columbia River Gorge is a major tourist destination, it is just gorgeous, Multnomah Falls is quite majestic, you can visit several falls in a short amount of time here without hiking back too much which is nice if you're on a time crunch.

The Columbia River Gorge Hotel is very nice, a historic property with gorgeous grounds and very good Farm Country Breakfasts. :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,732 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

syrah--We have been suggesting Silver Falls to you for years. Hopefully you take the time to stop on your next roadtrip to Oregon. And there is a lot more to it than viewing the south falls. IMO, you need to do the hike to get the full effect.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

I'd also suggest the gorge, mostly because it's an area you'll enjoy, regardless of the weather (it was likely in Oregon that the phrase, "April showers bring May flowers" originated ;-) ). The next day, take OR 35 up over Mt. Hood, maybe stopping at Timberline Lodge along the way to Bend (just a bit of a detour).

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,732 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

The gorge is unlike anything in VT. I like mistletoes suggestion on how to incorporate it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

Another vote for the Gorge. Silver Falls is very pretty, but the gorge is much more unique.

Try to take the "old road" the Historic Columbia River Highway:

byways.org/explore/byways/2141/stories/47046

VT
Level Contributor
33 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

The gorge sounds like a good plan for us - now looking at hotels, the Columbia Gorge Hotel - from the reviews looks a little questionable - but their website is nice - anyone care to comment. There are also a few nice looking B&B's and no shortage of good restaurants - The Inn at the Gorge looked good to us. Any opinions?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,732 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

The Columbia Gorge Hotel is a nice old place, but is showing its age a bit and could use some TLC.

The places I would suggest would be Edgefield (funky, but lots of fun), Bridal Veil Lodge, View Point Inn, or even Timberline Lodge. All of these are unique in their own way.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day between Mcminville and Bend

I *think* I read somewhere that they are finally refurbishing the Columbia Gorge Hotel, and the work is expected to take all year. I'd pick another recommendation.