We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

Hi,

We are staying Pacific City (rented a house) during the the last week of May and we have heard that if we are going to the Oregon Coast we have to check out the tide pools. Does anybody have any specific suggestions for good tide pools near Pacific City? (We are walkers but not hikers and don't mind getting wet.)

We are planning to go to a couple of the bigger name things in the area such as the Tillamook Cheese Factory and possibly going to the Oregon Coast Aquarium, but we are wondering what are the "must see" areas/sites near Pacific City? By "near" I mean within an hour drive.

I'm traveling with my husband and my parents, and like I said before we don't mind a nice walk, but nothing to strenous. (I'm adventurous but in rotten shape!)

Also, what is the best place to buy groceries in the area?

Thansk for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Pacific City
Pacific City
Oregon Coast, OR
Tillamook Cheese Factory
Tillamook Cheese Factory
2,435 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Oregon Coast Aquarium
Oregon Coast Aquarium
2,074 Reviews
Newport, OR
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

Pacific City has a great beach and some neat dunes at Sand Lake. I know there are some wonderful tide pools in the general area, but can't think of exact locations offhand. However, I'm sure some of the other regular Oregon Coast posters can direct you to the perfect spot.

In Pacific City you are on the southern end of the Three Capes Drive, be sure to take the drive all the way north to Oceanside.

A couple of other places around Tillamook that you might find interesting are the Blimp Hanger museum just south of Tillamook on Hwy 101 and the new Tillamook Forest Center east of Tillamook on Hwy 6.

Mentioned in this post
Pacific City
Pacific City
Oregon Coast, OR
Oceanside
Oceanside
Oregon Coast, OR
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Tillamook Forest Center
Tillamook Forest Center
126 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

With a whole week, you really should visit Depoe Bay, Cape Perpetua, Newport, its old town on the water, especially. Plenty of incredible sightseeing, you will find your own tide pools, literally.

Mentioned in this post
Depoe Bay
Depoe Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

Lol - "adventurous but in rotten shape"! Hey, I can relate to that :-)

Tide pools close by are at Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area, which is about a mile north of Pacific City. There are also tide pools at Cape Lookout, Maxwell Point and Cape Meares all located north of where you'll be and along the Three Capes Scenic Drive. Cape Kiwanda and Maxwell Point have "easy" access, the others "moderate".

South of you there are some at Otter Rock with "moderate" access, and Yaquina Head in Newport with "easy" access (also wheelchair accessible).

You can use the tide chart to check the tides:

saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/oregonsites.h…

Going south, you'll go up over Cascade Head, through Lincoln City (tax free outlet shopping here), across the world's shortest river, by Siletz Bay and Boiler Bay. Depoe Bay is atttractive; look for whales out in the bay here. Near Otter Rock, take the short drive out to Devil's Punchbowl SP. Then up over Cape Foulweather and if it's clear go out to the gift shop and parking area for a great view. Then you'll be at Yaquina Head in Newport.

Newport is about an hour south of Pacific City, and has lots to do and see: two lighthouses, bay tours, the aquarium, the marine science center, the bayfront. Many people enjoy the sea lions on the bayfront, near Port Dock 1 restaurant.

If you'd like to take a different route part way back, go east on Hwy 20 from downtown Newport about 6 miles until you come to the Siletz / Toledo intersection. Turn left toward Siletz, go through Siletz and just stay on that road (Rte 229) until you rejoin Hwy 101 just south of Lincoln City.

North of Lincoln City, you can do another scenic loop: go east on Hwy 18 for a couple of miles, then turn left onto "Old Hwy 101". The turn is near the Otis Cafe. Then you'll rejoin "new" Hwy 101 just south of Neskowin.

North of Pacific City, take the Three Capes Loop all the way. Then go north of Tillamook for a few miles and wind alongside Tillamook Bay - very scenic. i might suggest stopping into the Blue Heron French Cheese Co. for a good selection of cheeses and gourmet items. Then head south on Hwy 101; you might want to check out Munson Creek Falls, then continue south through teh little towns of Beaver, Hebo and Cloverdale, then back to Pacific City.

The closest place to buy groceries at a supermarket is at the Safeway at the far north end of Lincoln City. You'll see the shopping center on the west side of 101, at the intersection of Logan Road, it's across 101 from the McDonald's. Pacific City has a small store, as does Neskowin.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area
Cape Kiwanda State...
182 Reviews
Pacific City, OR
Pacific City
Pacific City
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Depoe Bay
Depoe Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Cape Foulweather
Cape Foulweather
93 Reviews
Newport, OR
Neskowin
Neskowin
Oregon Coast, OR
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Munson Creek Falls
Munson Creek Falls
159 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Level Contributor
37,575 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

The Air Museum is a nice suggestion for Tillamook, also there is the Latimar Quilt Museum that I found interesting and educational. Don't miss spending some time at Cape Lookout State Park, it's beautiful there and a great place for a photo op!

Depoe Bay is very pretty, there are a few shops and ice cream shops, you can wine taste there also, this is a very scenic area of the coast. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook Air Museum
Tillamook Air Museum
506 Reviews
Tillamook, OR
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Depoe Bay
Depoe Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

The big grocery store is Safeway in Tillamook. There is a small grocery store in Pacific City-its pretty decent for nesecities. I used to know the name, but now I cant remember. I think its Steve's or Tom's or something like that. Its near the greatful bread bakery.

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Pacific City
Pacific City
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

Right, Tillamook would be more convenient if the OP is coming soutbound on Hwy 101 from Hwy 6 or Hwy 126. If so, WriterGirl, the Safeway is at the north end of town on Hwy 101. There also is a Fred Meyer store in the same area, which has groceries, clothing, sporting goods and a lot of other stuff!

If you are coming to the coast along Hwy 18, the Lincoln City Safeway is much closer.

Mentioned in this post
Tillamook
Tillamook
Oregon Coast, OR
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
7. Re: Tide Pools and Great Sites Near Pacific City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 11:17