We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

My friend, who lives in Vancouver (WA), gets annoyed as anything when I say Oregon as "Or-a-gone" instead of the "right" way, "Or-a-gen." She said people are going to get annoyed by my mispronunciation! I don't know if it's a regional thing or a country-wide thing, but that's just how I grew up hearing it and I don't do it on purpose! LOL so, is she right, will people get mad at me by saying it the wrong way?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

Yes. I'm furious. Reallllyyy angry. Please be aware of our sensitive nature out here. Do I pronounce it New Yawk? Do I care if the Yankees lose? Is the Brooklyn Bridge really for sale? Do we all smoke the pot we grow? LOL Don't worry aboudid...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

Nah, fahgedaboudit, we'll just know you're one a' them ferinners :-)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

I told her I would try my best, but it's really difficult thinking before you pronounce a word...lol. She said if I say it like "Or-a-gone" she'll say Long Island like "Lawn isss-land" LOL

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

My husband and I are from NY...he was born/raised there.

He called it Oregone...about 3 times.

I cured him of it before we moved to Portland.

It is possible someone will correct you, it is a mis-pronounciation of the word Oregon...but Portlanders are pretty relaxed about most things..

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

Actually its "Orygun"

of course we'll note you right away as an out of towner just like I would be if i went to New York City instead of New Yawk Citty or Wisconsin instead of Wiscansan

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,720 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

Your next test is pronouncing Willamette.

It's not Will-a-met...like a similarly spelled geographic area back east.

It's Willamit, dammit!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

Maybe i'll be excused once people realize how thick my accent is because they'll think it's hopeless since apparently I say a lot of words wrong LOL

But like we say here, it's everyone else who has accents :-)~

Kidding of course :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

Oh there was a time, when I was in college, when a man came in to the store I worked at. We were chatting and I asked him where he was from. He said "missour-ah" I replied, "Oh, Missou-ree" He corrected me.

So I said, "Okay, I will let you say Are-ah-gone if you let me say Missou-ree!" LOL!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

I agree with others. OK to talk the way you learned but do not move here and live next door and not adjust. A new TV reporter adjusts very quickly, even to yah-tots, not yatch-its, or Wil-lam-et, not Will-a-met and a few others

not sure New Yawk is a similar example. I heard many say New York. when there. I do not think any locals say Oregone. To me it is not an accent question. It is just wrong.

creek or crick now is mixed use. purty or pretty too exception would be if you says everything a bit different. our neighbors are Slovakian. I can't tell you if they say Oregon, but something diff would not catch my attention.

My Kaiser answering system when i give my number verifies my address and recording says Ti-gard. annoys me every time It is Tie-gard. as visitor ok but not local anwering system.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will people get mad the way I pronounce Or-a-gone?

ya-hots sorry typo