We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it true?

richmondva
Level Contributor
17 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
is it true?

I just read in my Portland guidebook that Oregon is one of two states who won't let you pump your own gas. It has to be done by an attendant. I'm from Virginia and have always pumped my own gas. So what is the proper pump etiquette: sit in my car & wait, honk my horn, do I tip the attendant?

This is the kind of stuff that easily identifies the natives from the tourists!

chull

richmond va

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it true?

Sit, please do not honk! The attendant is waiting for the drivers. One old discussion topic, which went on endlessly and funnily was, does one tip the attendant. I would if they did more than fill up. The other important rule is to learn how to say "Oregon". :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it true?

Drive up to the pump....put your window down. The guy will ask what you want...you tell him...he fills the tank.

If you pay cash, you may have to get out and go inside.....if you pay with a card, you stay in your car.

Than goodness for our "You can't pump your own" rule. I'd hate to get out every time I need gas!

Oh, and NO TIP!!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it true?

Okay, enquiring minds want to know, costhull - what is the other state?

>> The attendant is waiting for the drivers.<<

Voyaging, you must patronize different gas stations than I do, lol! I usually sit for at least a minute or so before the guy comes shuffling on out .. "yeah, whatcha want?"

Replying in a veddy British accent ..."Ah, yes, young man perhaps as I am presently located in a petrol station you would be so kind as to dispense the appropriate type and amount of fuel into the tank so as to enable me to venture farther down the road".

"Huh?"

No tip, lol!

p.s. You'll most likely never get your oil checked and yes, you are allowed to clean your own windshield, which is probably the only way it will get cleaned ...

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,820 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it true?

We lived in Florida for a year before moving to Portland and that was our first full-time experience with pumping our own.

I won't tell you about the marital spat over the scent of gasoline spilled all over ones feet while trying to figure out Gas Pumping Techniques!

Enjoy the pleasure of sitting in the car and letting the nice man come over and do it for you. Especially if it is raining.

We lived in town, we used the gas station on Burnside across from Chinatown .. the attendants might be a big "slow" but they are as nice as they can be, very careful and always had time to give Pup pets and sweet talk.

My husband almost always just let them "keep the change"..they always wash the windows for you unless you stop them..

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,820 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it true?

*sorry* that should be < the attendants might be a bit slow>

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it true?

If you tipped the gas station attendant, they would probably very surprised. It just isn't done in Oregon.

And if you honked you would not be received with a welcome, that is for sure! Lol!

The attendants have a pretty thankless job so I go out of my way to be nice to them. Be thankful you can stay in your warm, dry car while the dirty work is left to someone else!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it true?

I always tip the gas attendant if the town has less than 200 people in it. I figure it gives people something to gossip about. It will be a long time before the teenagers of Spray, Oregon forget about the mazda 323 painted like a cow that tipped two bucks on an 8 dollar fill-up.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,820 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it true?

It is difficult to say some things "just aren't done" in a large city/state.. It certainly Was done when we lived there and we were not the only ones who did it. Maybe some people don't tip but there is no rule against it or for it. Tipping at a gas station is usually according to the feelings of the Tipper lol We tipped in NJ also..usually just not taking the change out of the dollar sort of tip..a quarter maybe..

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,820 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it true?

orgone, do you still have the "cow car" ? Will you save it for Henry to have as his first car? :)

btw- when I need a quick grin, I go to his youtube now .. works every time!!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
746 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it true?

i think they other state is New Jersey.