We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

I'm having challenges with time management for my proposed Oregon trip. I'm confirmed at Crater Lake Lodge for 9/7/08. From there I'd like to go to Gold Beach, stay overnight and take the Jet boat up the river on 9/8. How long is that drive from Crater Lake in hours? I'd like to enjoy the trip and not just see the dashboard all day.

Next, I'm looking for a nice oceanfront place for 9/9 somewhere up the coast. Bandon, Yachats, and Newport all looked interesting. Any recommendations? I'll be staying in Eugene 9/10 to 9/14 and taking day trips from there.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

I'd say it's about a 4-5 hour drive via Grants Pass and Rt. 199. Take time to stop at the Oregon Caves and/or the Jebediah Smith redwoods on the way.

If you're staying at Crater Lake the night of the 7th, then you'd drive to Gold Beach on the 8th and do the jet boat trip on the 9th. The best one is the full day trip so I'd just plan on staying in Gold Beach for 2 nights and driving to Eugene on the 10th. If you can get in at Tu Tu Tun Lodge, that's an amazing place to stay and worth splurging on.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

Are you trying to get from Crater Lake on the morning of the 8th to Gold Beach to take a jetboat trip the afternoon of the 8th? Because that's a tough one.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

Oregone has good question. If at Crater lake 9/7 you are traveling 9/8. No way can you get to Gold Beach in time for jet boat, unless you are willing to rise real early and head out, maybe before dawn.

You could easily get to Grants Pass for the jet boat ride there, No where near as good but still a jet boat ride in river for several miles.

Waiting to hear.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

I guess you COULD make it. Jerry's has a 64-mile trip leaving at 2:30pm. So if you left at Crater Lake at 9am or before, you could make it to Gold beach by 2pm if there was no traffic whatsoever.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

Sorry for the confusion; my hands didn't do as my mind told them. Those dates were wrong.

The plan was to have a travel day on Sept. 8 from Crater Lake to Gold Beach. Stay overnight, then take the jet boat the next morning 9/9. After the Rouge River tour, I'd continue up the coast to stay in Bandon, Yachats, or Newport on the night of 9/9. The next day I could explore that area before heading to Eugene for the next few days.

I'm glad to hear that CL to GB can be done in 5 hours with a couple of stops for fun. The idea to stay in GB for two nights may be a good one. After all, I am on vacation and if I miss something I'll have to come back! But just in case, if anyone has a favorite place to stay in those South or Central Coast areas I'd be interested.

Thank you for the timely responses and good info.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

Well, thank goodness for that. It's a real burn to get from CL to GB in 5 hours, although it can be done.

One place I always stop when I'm heading down 199 is It's A Burl. They have a little tree house you can climb, and then you can pretend to almost buy things.

Northwestwanderer was right about Tu Tu Tun. I've never actually stayed there, but have driven by it a thousand times on the way to my friend's place on North Bank Road.

If your final destination is Eugene, then there's no reason to go to Yachats, Newport, etc. You might try Florence. Driftwood Shores is the only place I've stayed in Florence, and I think they may be the only oceanfront place. They have decks, which is pretty awesome.

I'm not sure if google maps or mapquest does this anymore, but try not to be persuaded into taking Bear Flat Road from Grants Pass to Gold Beach. It can be pretty confusing to tourists. It's best to stick to 199 via Crescent City etc.

Oregon
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

I just wanted to second the longer 104 mile trip up the Rogue, as well as the Tu Tu Lodge.

I can't recommend anywhere on the south or central coast. We prefer the beaches farther north, but that would be quite a drive for you.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

I'm definitely taking Northwestwanderer's advice for 2 days in GB. It sounds like with stops in J. Smith Redwoods and Samuel Boardman, lunch, view points, etc., taking 8 hours from Crater Lake to GB is prudent to be able to see stuff and enjoy the journey. And thanks, oregone for the tip about the shortcut through Merlin, Galice, etc. That was a definite possibility, but there's plenty to see on the Hwy 199 route too. I'll just take the less confusing way.

When I get back from 8 hours on the Rouge, I'll be in need of a pint, not a drive up the shore to Bandon. I've looked at the TTT Lodge as too much $$$, but maybe I should look again after hearing all these raves through the posts. Many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Does anyone have an opinion about which Jet Boat place is better??

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

Yes, the 4-5 hour time frame was for the drive only--not including stops. With stops, the trip could easily take the whole day.

I think Tu Tu Tun is well worth the splurge but I love nice hotels, what can I say ;-)?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip planning Crater Lake to Gold Beach to ????

Hi EireMan, I'm actually on holiday right now, so wi-fi is hit-n-miss on the road . . .

I read everything carefully, did I miss something regarding the "shortcut" through Galice via the Forest Service road? You *don't* want to take that road - it is a lot of gravel, one lane winding miles. It may be shorter in terms of actual miles, but it is a looong drive through empty territory.

The drive from CL to Gold Beach is five hours not counting stops . . . if you do not get stuck behind a slow vehicle - they are all two lane roads with limited passing lanes.

Tu Tu Tun lodge is not on the ocean, you know! It is seven miles inland, right back up the Rogue River that you would have spent all day on in a jet boat.

Gold Beach has several decent motels on the ocean, but nothing super-luxurious.