We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with ideas for Oregon travel

boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with ideas for Oregon travel

Hi,

We are arriving in Portland around noon on a Saturday. We are flying into Portland for cost/flight time reasons. Our son is attending football camp in Eugene on a Wednesday. We want to get there by Tuesday afternoon as he is sleeping there and he wants to visit the college, Nike store, etc before he goes. I currently have reservations in Crater Lake from Saturday and leaving Tuesday. Is that too many days cinsidering snow and not much is open in the park? My son really wants to see Crater Lake. Should we plan to tour the park Sunday and Monday (Saturday driving day)? Do we leave Monday afternoon instead of Tuesday and visit another place before Eugene? We are going to Portland and Seattle after the camp.

Thanks. Any tips would be appreciated as we are not familiar with the area at all.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with ideas for Oregon travel

If this is before mid-June (possibly later this year), the rim road won't be open, and you won't be able to "tour" much of Crater Lake Park. You can access Rim Village from the south entrance and see the lake, but don't count on much more.

I'm not sure what to suggest for your extra day though... Maybe a night on the coast before Crater Lake? Or Ashland?

When is this trip scheduled?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with ideas for Oregon travel

Yeah, I'd go ahead and get to Eugene a day early. I just spent the weekend there and had no shortage of fun stuff to do. Portland to Crater Lake to the coast to Eugene to Portland is a lot of driving. Maybe you can take a more Oregonian approach to your trip and just make it as laid back as possible.

boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with ideas for Oregon travel

Thanks for the advice. We are arriving on June 14. I think we will spend Sundaytouring the park and leave Monday. Is there a midway point (city/town or place of interest) worth stopping at on our way to Eugene? We will now have 1/2 of Monday and all of Tuesday to have my son see Eugene.

Also, we (husband, 12 yo daughter and I) will be in Eugene for 4 days while son is camp. Any must do things or day drives while we hang out there?

Appreciate the info.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with ideas for Oregon travel

The Umpqua River is pretty sweet if you decide to head up to Eugene via Roseburg. There are something like 3 dozen waterfalls between Toketee and Glide if that's your thing. I've only been to about 6 or 7 of them, but I've never seen another soul on the trail. It might be a good way to break up the trip. Or there's always Wildlife Safari in Winston if you have a taste for camel saliva, which apparently the interior of my Nissan does.

If it were me I'd also stop in Cottage Grove, but only because I love the movie "Animal House" and attended U of O.

As for Eugene: There's a pair of osprey atop Skinner Butte right now that should have a few hatchlings in the next month or so. That could get interesting. Oregon River Sports rents canoes at Alton Baker Park, which is pretty awesome. There's a secret rope swing on the top of Mt. Pisgah if you want to take some really cool pictures involving, well, rope swings. Marche Provisions is a great stop for healthyish organic food (pizza, sandwiches, salady things), or a picnic lunch. It's in this kinda courtyardy mall-type thingie on 5th street. If you're in town for 4 days, then yes, I will begrudgingly admit that a trip to the coast would be fun. I'm pretty sure a 12-year-old wouldn't mind a dune-buggy ride.

boca raton, fl
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with ideas for Oregon travel

Thanks a ton. I will look inot your ideas.

6. Re: Please help with ideas for Oregon travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 15:19