We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon in the summer with teens

Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
Oregon in the summer with teens

We want to visit Oregon in the summer with 2 teenagers who want to be busy. We love the idea of the ocean and a few hours away, the mountains. Any suggestions for activities between the 2 for teens. Can you snow ski anywhere in the summer months. They aren't good with driving all day to get to a spot, so we want to break up the trip with different sights.

Mount Hood
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Volcanoes
Timberline
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

When are you coming, for how many days, and are you just sleeping in one spot?

USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

Timberline is well-known for year-round skiing up on the Palmer Glacier. It would be very nice to stay in the historic lodge up there.

Level Contributor
36,686 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

My family enjoyed snowboarding at Mt. Hood last month, they said the Timberline Lodge was really pretty! It was an easy day trip for them from our beach cottage in Seaside. Have fun! :)

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

Hi Meow-

You didn't say how long you'll be in Oregon, or much about interests, but I'd like to offer some general suggetions for you explore. I'm planning a family reunion for this summer and I have had to consider teens and tweens myself!...along with old folks:).

Don't know how much experience you have with mountain travel, coming from Florida, but just be prepared for lengthy travel times between the mountains and the coast as the roads are narrow, curvy and full of RV travellers in the summer. Sorta like travelling I-95 on major holidays, but prettier. Hopping back and forth between the mountains and the coast would probably not be a good idea.

Some of the more unusual things that your teens might enjoy would be snowboarding or skiing at Mt. Hood,( imagine having that tale for the "What I did this summer" essay!!), checking out the wolf preserve or the Bison ranch, visiting the dog sled racing camp, a cruise on the Columbia River in a sternwheeler, a jet boat ride on the Willamette, taking the mailboat run up the Rogue River in southern Oregon, panning for gold on the Rogue, or whitewater rafting on the Deschutes River...much different than floating the Itchetucknee near Gainesville!!!

Rock climbing is also a possiblity, but you should get some training beforehand for that- or perhaps incorporate it into a day's activity.

Since you say you like to stay busy, you might want to plan part of your tip in the mountains near Bend-Mt. Bachelor Village, Black Butte Ranch and Sunriver are 3 resorts in that area. The scenery up there is just jaw-dropping, and there are gobs of activity opportunities from the afore mentioned rock climbing to hiking, swimming, rafting, rockhounding, horseback riding and spelunking.

Also, the coast here is rugged and beautiful, and the water is COLD!!! Much colder than anything you would encounter in Florida, even in the winter. Don't plan to swim unless you've got wet suits.

You have to go to the Dunes National Rec. Area, south of Florence, to see them- its very different from your neck of the woods! Dunebuggy vendors are plentiful down there and I've yet to meet a teen who doesn't think dunebuggies are cool.

This is getting long, so I'll close, but you can see that there are lots of options out here. If you would narrow down your interests a bit and give out a little more information about your trip- such as duration and what months, the real locals can help you make good decisions.

Happy planning! Footloose

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

MeowMeow2, there are a lot of things to do with teens. Yes, Mt. Hood...and skiing/snow boarding at Palmer. Hiking on the mountain.

Bend can be good too...although I do not have as much knowledge there as I do not get there often, anymore.

Warm Springs is another great stop. An Indian reservation with overnight accommodations as well as day activities.

The coast is always great. The water is COLD, but, many still venture out into it. There are also a lot of activities that do not take you into the water. Beach volley ball and such.

You did not state where you will have your "entry" into Oregon. If you are coming in to Portland, everything is CLOSE! Mt. Hood is about an hour from the Portland airport. Warm Springs is another hour or so past that. Bend is about 3-4 hours from Portland. The north coast (Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach) will take 90-120 minutes. The Columbia River Gorge starts 15 miles from downtown Portland. Salem is an hour south and Eugene about 2 hours. So, you can do a lot from the Portland area.

On another note.....Syrahgirl, not that you will respond to this, but, were you staying at your beach cottage or at the hotels you keep touting in Seaside? I'm still not clear on why you stay at hotels when you have a beach "cottage" in the same town.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

Lol, PDX, one of life's little mysteries! In a recent post, didn't syrahgirl say she had a "home in Astoria" also? Wow.

Meow, you've gotten some great info so far - if you post some more details, I'm sure everybody can help you plan a fantastic visit :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

half-Brit, yes, she did. It must be tough to have so many homes, especially so close together. Maybe it makes it easier to have homes everywhere if one is doing so much wine tasting. No need to drive far. ;-)

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

Syrah...et al...I'm trying to visualize an "easy day trip" from a beach cottage in Seaside to Timberline on Mt. Hood! LOL Could one get more than an hour's worth of skiing in?

Not my idea of recreation for anyone, unless time on the road counts.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

linnmac, a trip from Seaside to Timberline, for skiing, would not be relaxing, in my opinion. It would take about and hour and a half or two to get to Portland. Then another hour and a half or so to Timberline. This, of course, assumes no traffic snarls along the way.

If you were then returning to Seaside after skiing, well, make your total drive time anywhere from 6-8 hours! Not fun!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon in the summer with teens

PDXWineaux--I was thinking the same thing about the drive times. Of course it is easy to say it is an easy day trip when you are not the one making the trek;) Sometimes ya just gotta wonder...